Glossary of Pizza Terms and Definitions
“Pizza” is a word that any language can understand.
Welcome to the most comprehensive pizza glossary and terms definitions on the internet. We carefully added what we think are all words related to pizza and pizza ovens.
You will find the pizza term definitions, related pizza terms, and related pizza articles to that term.
For a comprehensive list of pizza words, check our article on 900+ Pizza Words.
We have from the most serious pizza terms to pizza slang.
Discover the Word of the Day!
Are We Missing Any Pizza Terms?
You can suggest a term if you think we are missing any pizza words that can be useful for our readers.
Glossary of Pizza Terms and Definitions
Whether you’re a pizza aficionado or just a casual fan, this guide will introduce you to the delicious world of pizza.
From traditional toppings to modern twists, this glossary covers the essential vocabulary you need to know to fully appreciate the art of pizza-making. So take a slice of this knowledge pie and expand your pizza horizons!
This pizza glossary will define common pizza terms and ingredients and some interesting pizza slang.
So let’s dive in and explore the savory world of pizza together!
- Tare Tare Definition Tare is the weight of a container that is deducted from the gross weight to obtain net weight. Most digital scales allow you to perform this task efficiently by placing the empty container on the scale and pressing the tare button. Then, when the container is filled,(...) Read More
- Test Kitchen Test Kitchen Definition A test kitchen is a kitchen used for the process of developing and testing new kinds of recipes. Read More
- Thermal Cleaning Pizza Oven Thermal Cleaning Definition Thermal Cleaning is the process of heating the empty chamber of the oven to 600-650 degrees for 3 hours to help “self-clean” the oven. Read More
- Thermal Layer Pizza Oven Thermal Layer Definition The thermal Layer includes all of the material in the pizza oven that absorbs and retains heat for cooking or is exposed to fire and high temperatures. These include the oven floor, oven dome, and oven vent. Read More
- Thermal Mass Thermal Mass Definition Thermal Mass describes the volume of refractory material in the oven that you must heat to prepare your oven to cook. Read More
- Thermocouple Thermocouple Definition The thermocouple is a small probe and wire cable that is installed in the pizza oven that will output the temperature of the oven at that spot in the oven to a temperature display. Read More
- Three Bears-Style Three Bears-Style Definition Three Bears-Style is a pizza slang term used to describe a pie cut in unequal size slices. Momma Bear, Papa Bear, and Baby Bear slices—too large, too small, just right. Read More
- Tile Pizza Oven Tile Definition Tile is the facade material for pizza ovens. Read More
- Tiles Pizza Oven Tiles Definition Tiles are unglazed, fired, quarry clay tiles used in arrangements of one or more layers on an oven rack or grill as an alternative to pizza stones for baking pizzas. Read More
- Tipo "00" Flour Tipo "00" Flour Definition Tipo "00" Flour is the finest ground flour in Italy, with a high-gluten content. It’s used to make Neapolitan Pizza and is a required ingredient in any pizza designated as VPN or True Neapolitan Pizza. Read More
- Turning Peel Turning Peel Definition A turning peel is used to turn pizzas while cooking in an oven, especially wood-fired ovens and home pizza ovens. Read More
- Tuscan Oven Tuscan Oven Definition A Tuscan Oven features a slightly higher oven dome and less aggressive inward slope than the Napoletana Oven. This shape provides slightly better heat retention for baking and roasting . Read More
Check Our Recommended Products
Are you wondering why is pizza called pie? This controversy is one of the most pressing issues among food lovers. …
Why is pizza called pizza? Are you wondering why is pizza called pizza? We all know what pizza is. Right? …
Words to Describe Pizza Are you in search of words to describe pizza? Creating a pizza description seems like a …
Are you looking for guidance on how to describe pizza? We’ve got you covered! Restaurants, pizza blog writers, and friends …
Not a PRO? Not a Problem!
Take a pizza class to bring your pizza skills to the next level,
so you can be a PRO!
This baker’s percentage chart will give you a starting point to develop your own recipe. These are the four main base recipes that can be adapted to any other pizza style.
Costco Pizza Price 2023 Costco Pizza is one of the best options for finding delicious and affordable pizza. Its large …
Check Out Our Pizza T-Shirts
Check Out Our Preferred Vendors
Subscribe to our Recipe of the Week newsletter and receive our partners’ latest recipes, tips, and discount offers.
Keep in Touch!