Glossary of Pizza Terms and Definitions
“Pizza” is a word that any language can understand.
Welcome to the most comprehensive pizza glossary and terms definitions on the internet. We carefully added what we think are all words related to pizza and pizza ovens.
You will find the pizza term definitions, related pizza terms, and related pizza articles to that term.
For a comprehensive list of pizza words, check our article on 900+ Pizza Words.
We have from the most serious pizza terms to pizza slang.
Discover the Word of the Day!
Are We Missing Any Pizza Terms?
You can suggest a term if you think we are missing any pizza words that can be useful for our readers.
Glossary of Pizza Terms and Definitions
Whether you’re a pizza aficionado or just a casual fan, this guide will introduce you to the delicious world of pizza.
From traditional toppings to modern twists, this glossary covers the essential vocabulary you need to know to fully appreciate the art of pizza-making. So take a slice of this knowledge pie and expand your pizza horizons!
This pizza glossary will define common pizza terms and ingredients and some interesting pizza slang.
So let’s dive in and explore the savory world of pizza together!
- San Marzano Tomatoes San Marzano Tomatoes Definition San Marzano Tomatoes are plum tomatoes grown in the volcanic soil of San Marzano, Italy. They are ideal for pizza sauce due to their low sugar content and juicy flesh. Here are our favorite San Marzano tomatoes. [lasso(...) Read More
Pizza Screen Definition
A pizza screen is a firm aluminum shallow pan with a mesh structure for baking or cooling a pizza.
Here's our favorite pizza screen.
- Sea Salt Sea Salt Definition Sea Salt is a form of salt formed from the evaporation of seawater. It has a larger particle size than ordinary table salt. Sea Salt comes in different particle size gradations, including very coarse, which may require grinding in a mill or mortar and pestle before(...) Read More
- Self-Rising Flour Self-Rising Flour Definition Self-Rising Flour is produced using low-protein flour with protein content and double-acting baking powder. Check our self-rising flour article for more information. Here's our favorite self-rising flour. [lasso(...) Read More
- Semolina Flour Semolina Flour Definition Semolina Flour is a coarse, granular flour product with bright yellow color produced by milling durum wheat, a high-protein, high-gluten wheat. Read More
- Sheet / Sheeting Sheeting Definition Sheeting is the process of rolling pizza dough into a very thin and uniform sheet using a dough sheeter. Here's our favorite pizza dough sheeter. [lasso(...) Read More
- Sicilian Pizza Sicilian Pizza Definition Sicilian Pizza is a thick-crust, often square-shaped pizza topped with sauce, meats, vegetables, and cheeses. Check our Sicilian pizza recipe to learn how to make it. Read More
- Sinatra Sinatra Definition Sinatra is a pizza slang term used mostly in Newark, PA. It refers to a pizza that comes out perfectly. Read More
- Skin Skin Definition Skin is a term used by pizza makers to describe a dough round that has been shaped and stretched in preparation for dressing and baking. Read More
- Slack Dough Slack Dough Definition Slack Dough is a pizza slang used to describe an overly wet dough with no elasticity or spring-back. Read More
- Slap Out Some Skins Slap Out Some Skins Definition Slap Out Some Skins is a pizza slang term used to describe the process of stretching out dough balls. Read More
- Snag ‘N’ Drag
Snag ‘N’ Drag Definition
Snag ‘N’ Drag is a term popularized by Scott Wiener that refers to taking a slice of pizza from the tray—you must snag, then drag, horizontally to ensure nothing slips off the crust.
Check out Scott Wiener's pizza tours.
Highly Recommended! Best Tours Ever!Scott's Pizza Tours (New York City)
Scott's Pizza Tours runs public and private tours of New York's vast pizza landscape by bus and on foot. Every tour stops at multiple pizzerias, each highlighting a different phase in the evolution of the dish from its humble beginnings as a street snack to its current position as New Yorkers' food of choice.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Soggification Soggification Definition Soggification is a pizza slang term when the crust gets damp from too much liquid on top or from the enclosure in the pizza box. Read More
- Sourdough Sourdough Definition Sourdough refers to any dough that is made using wild yeast. The wild yeast is harvested by mixing flour and water together, usually in equal quantities, to form a starter. This starter is regularly topped up with fresh flour and water to create yeast. The flavor(...) Read More
- Staglio A Mano Staglio A Mano Definition Staglio A Mano s the term used to describe turning Neapolitan pizza dough into small balls by hand. Read More
- Starter Starter Definition Starter refers to a dough that contains active yeast and is made to add to another dough later. The starter leaven (proof/rise) the dough instead of directly adding yeast. Once alive, a starter can last indefinitely. A starter or pre-ferment can be in the form of(...) Read More
- Steel Plates Steel Plates Definition These rectangular or square metal plates are made of steel and can be used with many standard home ovens to bake pizzas. Steel plates are also known as baking steels. Here's our recommended steel plate or baking steel. Read More
- Stucco Stucco Definition Stucco is a plaster-like mixture used to finish ovens in the traditional “igloo style.” Read More
- Stuffed Pizza Stuffed Pizza Definition Stuffed Pizza is similar to a Chicago-Style Pizza as it’s made in a deep dish, but then the ingredients are topped with another layer of thin dough, sauce, and cheese. Read More
Check Our Recommended Products
Are you wondering why is pizza called pie? This controversy is one of the most pressing issues among food lovers. …
Why is pizza called pizza? Are you wondering why is pizza called pizza? We all know what pizza is. Right? …
Words to Describe Pizza Are you in search of words to describe pizza? Creating a pizza description seems like a …
Are you looking for guidance on how to describe pizza? We’ve got you covered! Restaurants, pizza blog writers, and friends …
Not a PRO? Not a Problem!
Take a pizza class to bring your pizza skills to the next level,
so you can be a PRO!
Costco Pizza Price 2023 Costco Pizza is one of the best options for finding delicious and affordable pizza. Its large …
Check Out Our Pizza T-Shirts
Check Out Our Preferred Vendors
Subscribe to our Recipe of the Week newsletter and receive our partners’ latest recipes, tips, and discount offers.
Keep in Touch!