Glossary of Pizza Terms and Definitions
“Pizza” is a word that any language can understand.
Welcome to the most comprehensive pizza glossary and terms definitions on the internet. We carefully added what we think are all words related to pizza and pizza ovens.
You will find the pizza term definitions, related pizza terms, and related pizza articles to that term.
For a comprehensive list of pizza words, check our article on 900+ Pizza Words.
We have from the most serious pizza terms to pizza slang.
Discover the Word of the Day!
Are We Missing Any Pizza Terms?
You can suggest a term if you think we are missing any pizza words that can be useful for our readers.
Glossary of Pizza Terms and Definitions
Whether you’re a pizza aficionado or just a casual fan, this guide will introduce you to the delicious world of pizza.
From traditional toppings to modern twists, this glossary covers the essential vocabulary you need to know to fully appreciate the art of pizza-making. So take a slice of this knowledge pie and expand your pizza horizons!
This pizza glossary will define common pizza terms and ingredients and some interesting pizza slang.
So let’s dive in and explore the savory world of pizza together!
- Radiant Burner Radiant Burner Definition A radiant burner in a pizza oven is the visible flame gas burner utilizing radiant heat inside the dome. By design, it is a yellow flame to maximize the heat distribution. It is the primary heat source in any wood stone oven utilizing gas. Read More
- Rapid-Rise (Quick-Rise) Yeast Rapid-Rise (Quick-Rise) Yeast Definition Rapid-Rise yeast is a type of Instant Dry Yeast. It's typically used for bread machines as it acts very quickly. Rapid-rise yeast is not recommended for pizza. Read More
- Raw Landing Zone Pizza Oven Raw Landing Zone Definition In a pizza oven, the raw landing zone is the area on the oven floor farthest from the flame. Read More
- Reducing Agents Reducing Agents Definition In pizza, reducing agents are dough additives that weaken the protein by breaking bonds between proteins during mixing, thereby reducing the mixing times and dough elasticity. Examples of reducing agents include ascorbic acid, sulfites, and L-Cysteine. Read More
- Refractory Refractory Definition Refractory is a material that is designed to withstand heat and high temperatures. Read More
- Release Agent Release Agent Definition Release Agent is a substance that helps prevent an unbaked pizza from sticking to the pizza peel so that the pizza will slide off easily into the oven. The most common release agent for pizza dough is corn meal. Read More
- Retained Heat Cooking Retained Heat Cooking Definition Retained Heat Cooking is the style of cooking where you rake the fire and coals out of the pizza oven and cook using the heat held in the refractory material. Read More
- Retarded Dough See Cold Fermentation. Read More
- Retarder Dough Retarder Definition When proving dough, a dough retarder is a refrigerator that is used to manage yeast fermentation. By lowering the dough's temperature, more diverse fermentation products are produced, resulting in a slower, longer rise and more nuanced taste. In manufacturing(...) Read More
- Ripen Ripen Definition Ripen is a term commonly used to describe the maturation of the preferment. Read More
- Roadie Roadie Definition Roadie is a slang term for a slice of pizza taken for the road. Read More
- Roccbox Pizza Oven Roccbox Pizza Oven Definition Is a domestic pizza oven offered by the company Gozney. Unlike other pizza oven manufacturers focusing mainly on solid fuel ovens, Gozney has concentrated on gas. Although less portable and more expensive than other pizza ovens, the Roccbox is one of the(...) Read More
Pizza Rocker Definition
A pizza rocker is a mezzaluna or curved blade for cutting Chicago Deep-dish pizzas.
Here's Our Recommended Pizza Rocker
The Ultimate Pizza Cutter Rocker Blade
Ultimate Pizza Cutter uses a premium, food-grade hardened stainless steel blade, knife quality, that allows you to cut large pizzas easily and in one move and, unlike wheel cutters, your cheese and toppings won’t slide anymore!Pros:
- Double handles
- Perfect for all pizzas
- Easy to use
We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Has a fragile handle
Pizza Roller Definition
Pizza Roller is another word for a pizza-slicing wheel.
Here's Our Recommended Pizza Wheel
Our Top PickOXO Steel Pizza Wheel and Cutter5.0
The OXO Steel Pizza Wheel and Cutter is the ultimate tool for easy slicing through pizzas. Made with a strong and sharp stainless steel blade, this pizza cutter effortlessly glides through thick or thin crusts, delivering perfect slices every time. Its stainless steel thumb guard ensures safety by keeping fingers away from the blade during use.
The OXO Steel handle provides a comfortable grip, combining the strength of brushed stainless steel with the softness of a non-slip grip. Whether you're slicing homemade pizzas, calzones, or flatbreads, the OXO Steel Pizza Wheel and Cutter is a reliable and efficient tool that will make pizza night a breeze.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Romano Cheese Romano Cheese Definition Romano Cheese is an Italian, sharp cheese resembling Parmesan cheese. Read More
Check Our Recommended Products
Are you wondering why is pizza called pie? This controversy is one of the most pressing issues among food lovers. …
Why is pizza called pizza? Are you wondering why is pizza called pizza? We all know what pizza is. Right? …
Words to Describe Pizza Are you in search of words to describe pizza? Creating a pizza description seems like a …
Are you looking for guidance on how to describe pizza? We’ve got you covered! Restaurants, pizza blog writers, and friends …
Not a PRO? Not a Problem!
Take a pizza class to bring your pizza skills to the next level,
so you can be a PRO!
Costco Pizza Price 2023 Costco Pizza is one of the best options for finding delicious and affordable pizza. Its large …
Check Out Our Pizza T-Shirts
Check Out Our Preferred Vendors
Subscribe to our Recipe of the Week newsletter and receive our partners’ latest recipes, tips, and discount offers.
Keep in Touch!