Glossary of Pizza Terms and Definitions
“Pizza” is a word that any language can understand.
Welcome to the most comprehensive pizza glossary and terms definitions on the internet. We carefully added what we think are all words related to pizza and pizza ovens.
You will find the pizza term definitions, related pizza terms, and related pizza articles to that term.
For a comprehensive list of pizza words, check our article on 900+ Pizza Words.
We have from the most serious pizza terms to pizza slang.
Discover the Word of the Day!
Are We Missing Any Pizza Terms?
You can suggest a term if you think we are missing any pizza words that can be useful for our readers.
Glossary of Pizza Terms and Definitions
Whether you’re a pizza aficionado or just a casual fan, this guide will introduce you to the delicious world of pizza.
From traditional toppings to modern twists, this glossary covers the essential vocabulary you need to know to fully appreciate the art of pizza-making. So take a slice of this knowledge pie and expand your pizza horizons!
This pizza glossary will define common pizza terms and ingredients and some interesting pizza slang.
So let’s dive in and explore the savory world of pizza together!
- B Flute Pizza Box B Flute Definition The B flutes are the waved inner medium of a corrugated cardboard sheet used to give a pizza box strength. Read More
- Backer Board Pizza Oven Backer Board Definition The backer board is a non-combustible cement board that is used to facade pizza ovens. Read More
- Bag-And-Board Bag-And-Board Pizza Slang Definition Bag-and-Board is a term used by Scott Wiener of Scott’s Pizza Tours. He explains that some old-school pizzerias like Grimaldi’s still load pizza onto a corrugated cardboard circle inserted into a thin paper bag. Steam can escape the bag,(...) Read More
- Baker's Percentage Baker's Percentage Definition Baker's percentage is a mathematical tool bakers use to analyze recipes and to scale or re-size recipes up or down in quantity. It is a weight-based system in which the percentage of each ingredient is stated in relation to the weight of the flour, which(...) Read More
- Baker's Yeast Baker's Yeast Definition Baker's yeast is a compressed form of yeast usually found in small cubes wrapped in foil. It is also available in larger blocks for commercial use. Baker's yeast is becoming less common due to its perishable nature. Here's the Baker's Yeast We(...) Read More
- Baking Stone
Baking Stone Definition
Baking Stone Is a piece of ceramic used to bake pizzas in average kitchen ovens. It is also known as a pizza stone.
Here's the Baking Stone We Recommend
Our Top PickUnicook Heavy Duty Pizza Grilling Stone5.0
Unleash the hidden chef in you with the Unicook Heavy Duty Pizza Grilling Stone. This exceptional tool, crafted from durable cordierite material, promises to transform your homemade pizzas into culinary masterpieces. Its thermal shock resistance ensures that it can withstand extreme temperatures, from the high heat of your oven or grill to the cool countertop post-baking.
Heat resistant up to 1,450°F (787°C).
The Unicook Pizza Stone evenly distributes heat for a consistently crisp and beautifully browned crust every time, while its porous surface absorbs excess moisture, bidding goodbye to the dreaded soggy crust. Its considerable size makes it perfect for baking family-sized pizzas, bread, biscuits, and more. Step into a world of unmatched flavor and crispness with the Unicook Heavy Duty Pizza Grilling Stone—your gateway to a home pizzeria experience.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Barrel Vault Barrel Vault Definition Barrel Vault is another word for brick oven. The footprint of the brick oven is rectangular, and the dome is a curved vault or barrel vault. While this oven style works well for large-scale bread ovens, it is a poor choice for a pizza oven. Read More
- Bench Scraper See Dough Scraper. Read More
- Best Pizza Best Pizza Definition The best pizza is a pizza that features a balanced sauce, high-quality, evenly-distributed cheese, and well-paired toppings. It should have a flavorsome, savory crust; and the best quality ingredients. It has to be memorable to be considered the best, so this(...) Read More
- Biga Biga Definition Biga is an Italian term that generally means pre-ferment. A biga is made from a mixture of flour, water, a small amount of yeast, and no salt. Biga typically uses hydration sufficient to achieve a generally quite stiff, dough-like consistency, much like the final dough(...) Read More
- Biochemical Gluten Development Biochemical Gluten Development Definition The development of gluten in the dough by biochemical means during fermentation as opposed to the development of the gluten by mixing the dough before fermentation. Read More
- Black Oven Black Oven Definition A black oven is designed with a fire-in-the-oven that heats the oven and bakes food. For example, a black pizza oven has the wood and coals burning in the same chamber where the food is cooked. After the oven is thoroughly heated, the fire is either moved to(...) Read More
- Blank Pizza Box Blank Definition Blank is a single sheet of finished fiberboard that includes the perforations and scoring required to build a final, pre-folded pizza box. Sometimes is referred to as a circle of corrugated cardboard. Read More
- Blown Dough Blown Dough Definition Blown dough refers to the excessively fermented dough and is now one large piece of dough seeping from the bowl rather than several well-defined dough balls. Read More
- Bones Pizza Bones Definition In pizza slang, bones are the leftover pieces of crust discarded on a plate. Read More
- Bread Flour Bread Flour Definition Bread Flour is a flour with a protein level of 12.5–13.5%. Ideal for bread and pizza. Higher protein flours make firmer, stronger doughs, while lower protein flours produce softer, weaker doughs. Here's the Bread Flour We Recommend [lasso(...) Read More
- Bread Oven Bread Oven Definition A bread oven is an oven with the main characteristics of a Barrel Vault. Mainly used to bake bread not suitable for pizza. Read More
- Brick Pizza Oven Brick Definition A brick is a pressed clay product used in some pizza ovens. Read More
- Bromated Flour Bromated Flour Definition Bromated flour goes through a process in which potassium bromate (bromate) is added to flour to improve baked goods. Adding bromate to the flour helps improve the dough's rise and elasticity. Want to Try Bromated Flour? [lasso(...) Read More
- Bubble Hook
Bubble Hook Definition
A bubble hook is used to pop bubbles on the pizza dough and move pots or pans around in the oven.
Here's the Bubble Hook that We Recommend
- Buffalo Mozzarella Buffalo Mozzarella Definition Buffalo mozzarella is a fresh mozzarella produced from the milk of water buffalo. The cheese is generally considered high quality because the water buffalo milk from which the cheese is made is thicker than regular milk. It has more butterfat and more(...) Read More
- Bulk Fermentation Bulk Fermentation Definition Bulk fermentation is when the dough is allowed to rise in bulk as one large piece immediately after mixing. Because the mass of the dough helps to retain its temperature. Bulk-fermented doughs are generally fermented at room temperature. Bulk fermentation(...) Read More
Check Our Recommended Products
Are you wondering why is pizza called pie? This controversy is one of the most pressing issues among food lovers. …
Why is pizza called pizza? Are you wondering why is pizza called pizza? We all know what pizza is. Right? …
Words to Describe Pizza Are you in search of words to describe pizza? Creating a pizza description seems like a …
Are you looking for guidance on how to describe pizza? We’ve got you covered! Restaurants, pizza blog writers, and friends …
Not a PRO? Not a Problem!
Take a pizza class to bring your pizza skills to the next level,
so you can be a PRO!
Costco Pizza Price 2023 Costco Pizza is one of the best options for finding delicious and affordable pizza. Its large …
Check Out Our Pizza T-Shirts
Check Out Our Preferred Vendors
Subscribe to our Recipe of the Week newsletter and receive our partners’ latest recipes, tips, and discount offers.
Keep in Touch!