Glossary of Pizza Terms and Definitions
“Pizza” is a word that any language can understand.
Welcome to the most comprehensive pizza glossary and terms definitions on the internet. We carefully added what we think are all words related to pizza and pizza ovens.
You will find the pizza term definitions, related pizza terms, and related pizza articles to that term.
For a comprehensive list of pizza words, check our article on 900+ Pizza Words.
We have from the most serious pizza terms to pizza slang.
Discover the Word of the Day!
Crumb Definition Crumb is the structure of the inside of a baked pizza crust or…
Are We Missing Any Pizza Terms?
You can suggest a term if you think we are missing any pizza words that can be useful for our readers.
Glossary of Pizza Terms and Definitions
Whether you’re a pizza aficionado or just a casual fan, this guide will introduce you to the delicious world of pizza.
From traditional toppings to modern twists, this glossary covers the essential vocabulary you need to know to fully appreciate the art of pizza-making. So take a slice of this knowledge pie and expand your pizza horizons!
This pizza glossary will define common pizza terms and ingredients and some interesting pizza slang.
So let’s dive in and explore the savory world of pizza together!
- 00 Flour 00 Flour Definition The "00" refers to the texture of the flour. Flour is designated on a scale indicating how finely ground the flour is and how much of the bran and germ have been removed, ranging from the roughest ground "2" to the finest "00". This flour is also known as Tipo 00,(...) Read More
- Access Panel Access Panel Definition The access panel in a pizza oven is also known as the service panel or air intake panel. The cover on the base of the pizza oven with the controls to the oven behind it and the air intake vent. Read More
- Active Dry Yeast Active Dry Yeast Definition Active Dry Yeast is a dried form of yeast that, combined with other dough ingredients, is activated by rehydration. Active Dry Yeast needs to be mixed with warm water at around 105–115F for about 10 minutes. This process is also called proofing. Here's(...) Read More
- Air Deck Oven Air Deck Oven Definition An air deck oven is a specialized commercial oven that employs air impingement baking technology in a deck-type oven configuration. Read More
- All-Purpose Flour
All-Purpose Flour Definition
All-purpose flour, also known as AP Flour, has a protein level of 10 – 12%, which is ideal for general baking purposes.
Here's Our Recommended AP Flour
King Arthur Flour, Organic All Purpose Flour, 32 oz
All-purpose flour is an essential ingredient for every baker yielding exceptional results. Unbleached and unbromated, this flour is milled to be versatile: strong enough for bread, and gentle enough for tender, delicate scones and cakes
Milled from the finest American wheat. This all-purpose flour is also 100% US hard red wheat grown on American farms.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Ascorbic Acid Ascorbic Acid Definition Ascorbic acid is an organic acid, also known as Vitamin C, and is commonly used as an additive for flour. When added to flour, it acts as an oxidizing agent, which makes it easier to form the gluten network during the kneading of the dough. When used with yeast,(...) Read More
- Autolyse Method Autolyse Method Definition This is a method of “presoaking” the flour before baking. This process shortens the final mixing period and reduces the chances of oxidation. The autolyse method allows the mixture to rest for about 15–45 minutes, during which flour and especially the protein(...) Read More
- Pizza Avalanche Slang Pizza Avalanche Slang Definition A pizza avalanche slang results from picking a slice of pizza fresh out of the oven and all the toppings sliding right off the crust. Read More
- B Flute Pizza Box B Flute Definition The B flutes are the waved inner medium of a corrugated cardboard sheet used to give a pizza box strength. Read More
- Backer Board Pizza Oven Backer Board Definition The backer board is a non-combustible cement board that is used to facade pizza ovens. Read More
- Bag-And-Board Bag-And-Board Pizza Slang Definition Bag-and-Board is a term used by Scott Wiener of Scott’s Pizza Tours. He explains that some old-school pizzerias like Grimaldi’s still load pizza onto a corrugated cardboard circle inserted into a thin paper bag. Steam can escape the bag,(...) Read More
- Baker's Percentage Baker's Percentage Definition Baker's percentage is a mathematical tool bakers use to analyze recipes and to scale or re-size recipes up or down in quantity. It is a weight-based system in which the percentage of each ingredient is stated in relation to the weight of the flour, which(...) Read More
- Baker's Yeast Baker's Yeast Definition Baker's yeast is a compressed form of yeast usually found in small cubes wrapped in foil. It is also available in larger blocks for commercial use. Baker's yeast is becoming less common due to its perishable nature. Here's the Baker's Yeast We(...) Read More
- Baking Stone
Baking Stone Definition
Baking Stone Is a piece of ceramic used to bake pizzas in average kitchen ovens. It is also known as a pizza stone.
Here's the Baking Stone We Recommend
Our Top PickUnicook Heavy Duty Pizza Grilling Stone
Unicook pizza stone is made of all-natural Cordierite, sintered in a 2100°F kiln for hours, with no odor under proper use. Feature of superior strength, durability, heat retention, and excellent thermal shock resistance, built to outlast all others. Heat resistant up to 1,450°F (787°C).
The special porous structure of the baking stone helps to distribute heat evenly and draw out the moisture from dough efficiently; Make pizza or bread with crispy crusts, avoiding the sogginess that often occurs with metal pans.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Barrel Vault Barrel Vault Definition Barrel Vault is another word for brick oven. The footprint of the brick oven is rectangular, and the dome is a curved vault or barrel vault. While this oven style works well for large-scale bread ovens, it is a poor choice for a pizza oven. Read More
- Bench Scraper See Dough Scraper. Read More
- Best Pizza Best Pizza Definition The best pizza is a pizza that features a balanced sauce, high-quality, evenly-distributed cheese, and well-paired toppings. It should have a flavorsome, savory crust; and the best quality ingredients. It has to be memorable to be considered the best, so this(...) Read More
- Biga Biga Definition Biga is an Italian term that generally means pre-ferment. A biga is made from a mixture of flour, water, a small amount of yeast, and no salt. Biga typically uses hydration sufficient to achieve a generally quite stiff, dough-like consistency, much like the final dough(...) Read More
- Biochemical Gluten Development Biochemical Gluten Development Definition The development of gluten in the dough by biochemical means during fermentation as opposed to the development of the gluten by mixing the dough before fermentation. Read More
- Black Oven Black Oven Definition A black oven is designed with a fire-in-the-oven that heats the oven and bakes food. For example, a black pizza oven has the wood and coals burning in the same chamber where the food is cooked. After the oven is thoroughly heated, the fire is either moved to(...) Read More
- Blank Pizza Box Blank Definition Blank is a single sheet of finished fiberboard that includes the perforations and scoring required to build a final, pre-folded pizza box. Sometimes is referred to as a circle of corrugated cardboard. Read More
- Blown Dough Blown Dough Definition Blown dough refers to the excessively fermented dough and is now one large piece of dough seeping from the bowl rather than several well-defined dough balls. Read More
- Bones Pizza Bones Definition In pizza slang, bones are the leftover pieces of crust discarded on a plate. Read More
- Bread Flour Bread Flour Definition Bread Flour is a flour with a protein level of 12.5–13.5%. Ideal for bread and pizza. Higher protein flours make firmer, stronger doughs, while lower protein flours produce softer, weaker doughs. Here's the Bread Flour We Recommend [lasso(...) Read More
- Bread Oven Bread Oven Definition A bread oven is an oven with the main characteristics of a Barrel Vault. Mainly used to bake bread not suitable for pizza. Read More
- Brick Pizza Oven Brick Definition A brick is a pressed clay product used in some pizza ovens. Read More
- Bromated Flour Bromated Flour Definition Bromated flour goes through a process in which potassium bromate (bromate) is added to flour to improve baked goods. Adding bromate to the flour helps improve the dough's rise and elasticity. Want to Try Bromated Flour? [lasso(...) Read More
- Bubble Hook
Bubble Hook Definition
A bubble hook is used to pop bubbles on the pizza dough and move pots or pans around in the oven.
Here's the Bubble Hook that We Recommend
- Buffalo Mozzarella Buffalo Mozzarella Definition Buffalo mozzarella is a fresh mozzarella produced from the milk of water buffalo. The cheese is generally considered high quality because the water buffalo milk from which the cheese is made is thicker than regular milk. It has more butterfat and more(...) Read More
- Bulk Fermentation Bulk Fermentation Definition Bulk fermentation is when the dough is allowed to rise in bulk as one large piece immediately after mixing. Because the mass of the dough helps to retain its temperature. Bulk-fermented doughs are generally fermented at room temperature. Bulk fermentation(...) Read More
- Caciocavallo Caciocavallo Cheese Definition Caciocavallo cheese is a salty Italian pasta cheese made from sheep’s or cow’s milk. Caciocavallo means “cheese on horseback” and gets its name from being tied together with a rope and dangled over a wooden board to drain and age. [lasso(...) Read More
- Cake Flour Cake Flour Definition Cake flour is a relatively low-protein flour (typically 7–8.5%) milled from soft red winter wheat and used primarily for baking cakes and similar soft baked goods. Here's Our Favorite Cake Flour [lasso(...) Read More
- California Style Pizza California Style Pizza Definition California Style pizza is a thin-crust pizza, often without tomato sauce, notable for its use of fresh, nontraditional toppings not typically used by Italians. You can typically find pizza combinations of fresh vegetables and flavor combinations,(...) Read More
- Calzone Calzone Definition Calzone is a stuffed baked pizza. A calzone is more like a folded-over and sealed pizza. Typical calzone fillings include ricotta, mozzarella, and pepperoni. Typically served with a side of marinara for dipping. Some variations on the calzone include the Stromboli(...) Read More
- Caramelization Caramelization Definition Caramelization is the process of sugars being exposed to high temperatures and browning. Read More
- Carbon Burn-Off Pizza Oven Carbon Burn-Off Definition Carbon Burn-off is the stage inside the dome of a pizza oven that reaches about 650°F, and the black soot, or carbon, begins to burn off, giving the impression that the oven dome is turning white. You can see the detail of the dome interior and(...) Read More
- Cart Oven Cart Oven Definition Pizza cart ovens are prevalent in and around Naples and are used for catering parties and outdoor festivals. Read More
- Catering Oven
Catering Oven Definition
A catering oven is any portable or mobile pizza oven used for catering events and parties.
Here's Our Recommended Catering Oven
Want to Have Something Different?Alfa Allegro Outdoor Countertop Wood-Fired Pizza Oven4.5
The Alfa Allegro is an elegant, high-quality outdoor wood-fired oven designed for pizza enthusiasts seeking the ultimate cooking experience. Crafted in Italy, this oven not only creates authentic, flavorful pizzas but also excels in cooking various types of dishes with remarkable efficiency.
The dome's high arching form traps heat and evenly cooks food, while the built-in thermometer lets you track interior temperatures.
You may cook everything in your Alfa pizza oven that you would typically prepare in your home oven, including roasts, veggies, desserts, and more, without the need for curing.Pros:
- Authentic wood-fired taste
- Large cooking capacity
- Versatile cooking options
- Efficient heat-up and retention
- High-quality, durable construction
We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Expensive investment
- Requires outdoor space
- Longer heat-up time compared to electric ovens
- Regular maintenance and cleaning needed
Cazuela is a Spanish cooking vessel made of glazed ceramic, shallow and round. Great for roasting or baking. Comes in many sizes.
Here's Our Favorite Cazuela
Terra Cotta Cazuela Dish
This cazuela is a 9.5-inch diameter dish that is two inches deep. It is a good size for cooking shrimp, fabada bean stew, fideua, or other traditional dishes -- also good for a small paella if you do not have a pan available. The glaze on the cazuelas is lead-free. We provide directions for a simple seasoning (essentially soaking in water for a few hours) which renders the cazuela suitable for all applications: stovetop, oven, or microwave. When cooking with terra cotta, the key is gradually increasing the heat. Cazuelas, terra cotta dishes, have been used in Spain for thousands of years. The art of cuisine began in clay pots, which can be brought to the table straight from the oven. These cazuelas are unique because they are made by potters who have followed an ancient Roman formula for centuries. Although terra cotta is nothing more complicated than moistened clay, low-fired with an interior glaze so it can hold liquids, this particular technique involves including small pebbles in the mix, which strengthens the bowl and increases its heat retention. La Tienda is the only source for this high-quality cazuela in America.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Ceramic Ceramic Definition Ceramic is an inorganic nonmetallic material usually processed at high temperatures. Read More
- Ceramic Insulation Ceramic Insulation Definition Ceramic insulation is the most efficient material available for pizza oven insulation. Heat resistant to over 2,300ºF, ceramic fiber boards and blankets offer extremely low thermal conductivity and are twice as efficient as Insulating Concrete. Ovens(...) Read More
- Char Char Definition Char is the slightly or partially burned parts of the pizza cornicione. Shown by blackened spots on the crust, which occur when the pizza is baked at a high temperature. Read More
- Cheese Drag Pizza Cheese Drag Definition It is called a cheese drag in pizza slang when cheese pulls off the top of a slice. This typically happens when there is too much sauce on a pizza, and the cheese has not attached to the crust. Cheese drag has commonly seen on frozen and delivery pizzas. Read More
- Cheese Lock Pizza Cheese Lock Definition Cheese lock is cheese placement on top of the toppings so that it sticks to the crust and won’t slide around. Read More
- Cheese Pull Pizza Cheese Pull Definition Cheese pull is the stretched, stringy connection of cheese from a slice pulled away from the rest of the pizza. The ideal cheese pull typically features nice long strings that cling to the slice as it is lifted from the whole pizza. Read More
- Chemical Leaveners Chemical Leaveners Definition Chemical leaveners are chemical substances that cause the expansion of doughs and batters by releasing gases within such mixtures, producing baked products with porous structures. Such agents include yeast, baking powder, and baking soda. Read More
- Chicago Style Pizza Chicago Style Pizza Definition Chicago Style Pizza is a heavy, pan-cooked pizza. It features a thick buttery crust pressed up along the sides of the pan and covered with about an inch of mozzarella, toppings, and a chunky, canned tomato sauce—a deep-dish pizza made in a high-sided pan,(...) Read More
- Chimney Pizza Oven Chimney Definition A pizza oven chimney is a vertical channel or pipe conducting smoke and combustion gases from a fire. In a pizza oven, the chimney is typically located in the front of the oven. The oven draws in cold air through the oven opening for the fire and exhausts(...) Read More
- Chimney Manifold Pizza Oven Chimney Manifold Definition A pizza oven manifold is the part of a pizza oven that connects the end of the pizza oven to the chimney. Read More
- Clay Brick Clay Brick Definition Clay brick is a basic pressed clay block used for construction. Read More
- Clear Flour Clear Flour Definition Clear flour is left over when the premium white patent flour is removed from the wheat. It's also known as high-gluten flour. Contrary to its name, clear flour has a more robust flavor than regular flour and is darker in color. It is used in whole grain and rye(...) Read More
- Coastline Pizza Coastline Definition In pizza slang, the pizza coastline is the area that describes the exposed sauce between the end of the cheese and the beginning of the crust. Read More
- Cold Cheese Slice Cold Cheese Slice Definition Cold cheese slice is a pizza with a mound of cold shredded mozzarella on top, making the hot slice extra cheesy and preventing the burning of the roof of the mouth. Read More
- Cold Fermentation Cold Fermentation Definition Cold fermentation is the fermentation of dough under refrigeration, typically for an extended period, to develop flavor and aroma in the finished crust. Read More
- Cold Press Pizza Cold Press Definition A pizza cold press is a press used to form the pizza dough without the use of heat. In order to use this press, the pizza dough must have a very soft, extensible characteristic. Here's Where You Can Get It [lasso(...) Read More
- Combined Technology Oven Combined Technology Oven Definition These new, high-tech pizza ovens can utilize three or more baking heat transfer technologies. These pizza ovens will bake a pizza very fast, but they have a limited capacity. Check our types of pizza ovens article for more. Read More
- Commercial Pizza Oven Commercial Pizza Oven Definition Commercial pizza ovens are ovens designed especially for commercial purposes. What differentiates a commercial oven from a residential oven is the quality of the refractory material used and the thickness of the insulation material used for its(...) Read More
- Compressed Yeast Compressed Yeast Definition Compressed Yeast is a fresh form of yeast, also called "fresh" or "cake" yeast. It is a wet form of yeast with a moisture content of around 70%, making it faster to act than dry yeasts. Check our article on the best yeast for pizza for more. Here's Our(...) Read More
- Convection Oven Convection Oven Definition A convection oven is the average kitchen oven that uses forced air circulation in the baking chamber to circulate the air throughout the pizza. The problem with these ovens is that they generally lack the necessary heat to bake a pizza properly. Read More
- Cooking Flame Cooking Flame Definition The cooking flame is the cooking flame of a wood-fired oven. When food is in a wood-fired oven, the flame should be 2-3 inches above the holding flame or 10″ in height. Check our recommended wood-fired pizza ovens for more. Read More
- Cooking Floor See Oven Floor. Read More
- Corner Oven Corner Oven Definition A corner oven is an oven installation where the oven sits in a corner, and the opening faces at a 45-degree angle. Here's Our Recommended Corner Oven If you plan to install a pizza oven on a 45-degree corner, here's the pizza oven that we recommend. [lasso(...) Read More
- Cornicione Cornicione Definition Cornicione is the Italian term for the "lip" or the outer puffy edge of the pizza. In Italian cornicione means cornice or molding. In pizza terms, it means the rim or edge crust on a pizza. Check our Cornicione article for more. Read More
- Cotto Refrattario Cotto Refrattario Definition Cotto Refrattario is the Italian word for “Baked clay.” Cotto refrattario is usually sourced from Tuscany to be used as the floor of pizza ovens. To create a pizza oven cooking surface using baked clay, you do not mortar the bricks in place but instead(...) Read More
- Cracker Style Pizza Cracker Style Pizza Definition Cracker Style Pizza is a pizza style typically seen in Pizza Hut. This pizza crust style has a layered, cracker-like texture. It's super thin and crispy. Not only is it delicious, but it's also a very manageable dough and comes together in minutes. The(...) Read More
- Cracks Cracks Definition Cracks are intended, naturally forming joints created by the normal expansion and contraction that occurs in ceramic as it heats and cools. Read More
- Cross Stacking Cross stacking is the perpendicular placement of dough boxes, one on top of the other at 90-degree angles. This placement allows the air to circulate the dough balls while cooling. Dough balls should generally be cross-stacked for at least two hours if they weigh 16 ounces or less.(...) Read More
- Crumb Crumb Definition Crumb is the structure of the inside of a baked pizza crust or bread. Read More
- Curing Curing Definition Curing is a process for wood-fired ovens in which, after your oven has been installed, you need to bring it up to heat slowly to allow the oven and the installation materials to dry. Failure to follow this curing procedure could result in damage to your oven. Read More
- Cut Cut (Old-Forge, PA) Definition Cut is the name for a slice of the style of pizza native to Old Forge, Pennsylvania. Read More
- Cutter Pan Pizza Cutter Pan Definition Cutterpan is a circular solid or perforated metal pan used to fit the dough to the pan by rolling a rolling pin over the dough to cut the dough. The pan perforations allow direct heat over the crust, making it crispy. How to Use a Pizza Cutter Pan Place(...) Read More
- D.O.C. (Denominazione Di Origine Controllate): D.O.C. (Denominazione Di Origine Controllate) Definition D.O.C. (Denominazione Di Origine Controllate) is a quality assurance label for Italian foods, wines, and spirits that authenticates their origins. Read More
- D.O.P. (Denominazione Di Origine Protetta D.O.P. (Denominazione Di Origine Protetta) is a quality assurance label that ensures the product it appears on was cultivated using the approved of techniques in the manner and geographic area necessary for it to be considered authentic. Read More
- Dairy Whey Dairy Whey Definition Dairy Whey is a baking ingredient derived as a byproduct of cheese production and processed into a dry form for use in doughs to promote more excellent crust browning. Here's Where You Can Get It [lasso(...) Read More
- Damaged Starch Damaged Starch Definition Damaged starch is the starch in flour that is damaged during the milling process. It is essential because enzymes in the flour work on the damaged starch to produce compounds converted to simple sugars for feeding the yeast during fermentation. It also contributes(...) Read More
- Deck Oven Deck Oven Definition Deck ovens are ovens with a large flat deck for baking upwards of a dozen pizzas at a time. Check our types of ovens article for more information. Read More
- Deep-Dish Pizza: See Chicago-Style pizza. Read More
- Deep-Fried Pizza Deep-Fried Pizza Definition Deep-fried pizza is a pizza whose dough is fried in hot oil before being topped with sauce and cheese and then baked in an oven. It is also called “Pizza Fritta” or “Montanara Pizza”. Read More
- Diastatic Malt Diastatic Malt Definition Diastatic malt is a barley malt used in flour to increase the extraction of sugars from the flour, so it's used as food for the yeast during the fermentation process. It increases the residual sugars in the dough during baking to promote crust browning. Check(...) Read More
- Docking Pizza Docking Definition Pizza docking involves poking numerous holes into a pizza crust using a specialized tool called a dough docker. This process is done immediately before topping, which helps prevent large air bubbles from forming in the crust during baking. Here's the Pizza(...) Read More
- Dome See Oven Dome. Read More
- Donut Pizza Dough Donut Definition In pizza slang, a donut is a hole in the dough that needs to be corrected because you don’t want the sauce and cheese to leak into the oven. Read More
- Double-Zero Flour See 00 Flour. Read More
- Dough Box
Dough Box Definition
A dough box is a plastic box for holding and fermenting dough balls in the refrigerator.
Here's the Dough Box We Recommend
Pizza Dough Proofing Box - Stackable
These dough-proofing boxes are generously sized at 17.25 x 13 x 3.54" with covers and are sturdy enough to stack while you wait.
Made with food-grade white plastic, you can rest assured your customers are being served the highest quality bread and pizzas.
Durable construction with covers, our proofing boxes will become a staple in your kitchen for years to come.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Dough Conditioner Dough Conditioner Definition A dough conditioner is an additive mixed with flour to help improve the quality of the finished product by altering how the dough behaves. There are four categories of dough conditioners: enzymes, oxidizing agents, reducing agents, and emulsifiers. Check(...) Read More
- Dough Divider Dough Divider Definition A dough divider is a mechanical device for accurately portioning the dough into smaller pieces. Read More
- Dough Docker Dough Docker Definition A dough docker is a tool used to press over the dough to crimp the top and bottom layers of the dough. A dough docker controls the number and size of blisters or bubbles on the crust during baking. Here's the Dough Docker We Recommend [lasso(...) Read More
- Dough Fermentation Dough Fermentation Definition Dough fermentation is when the yeast is allowed to interact with the dough mixture after mixing but before shaping or forming. Check our pizza dough fermentation article for more information. Read More
- Dough Hook Dough Hook Definition A dough hook is a twisted hook attachment for a stand mixer that can be used to stir and knead the dough, instead of kneading by hand. Check our Dough Hook vs. Dough Paddle article for more information. Read More
- Dough Relaxer Dough Relaxer Definition A dough relaxer is a baking ingredient used to relax dough that is excessively elastic and prone to shrinking. Check our pizza dough enhancers article for more information. Here's the Dough Relaxer We Recommend [lasso(...) Read More
- Dough Rounder Dough Rounder Definition A dough rounder Is a mechanical device used for shaping dough pieces and forming them into symmetrical round balls. Read More
- Dough Scraper
Dough Scraper Definition
A dough scraper is a tool used for handling dough and preventing it from sticking to the work surface.
Here's Our Recommended Dough Scraper
Dough Scraper Bowl Scraper
Made of food-grade PP plastic to ensure your health, durable, non-toxic, reusable, safe to use, dishwasher safe
● Provides a firm grip with full control when you are scraping any bowl, and it conforms to any bowl shape
● Function- Use for scraping, shoveling, chopping cream, cake, cheese, chocolate, dough, fondant, etc.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Dough Sheeter Pizza Dough Sheeter Definition A dough sheeter also called a dough roller, is designed to sheet a dough ball to a predetermined thickness. Here's the Pizza Dough Sheeter We Recommend [lasso(...) Read More
- Dough Shrinking Dough Shrinking Definition Dough shrinking is when a dough piece is formed out to the desired diameter, and then within a matter of seconds, it shrinks back to a smaller size. The problem is most commonly experienced with doughs made from high-gluten flours. Check our pizza(...) Read More
- Doughnating Doughnating Definition In pizza slang, doughnating is the process of taking dough from the main mix and working it into smaller balls to make it the correct weight and size for a single pie. Read More
- Dry Milk Dry Milk Definition Dry Milk is a powdered milk product commonly added to dough primarily for crust color or browning. Read More
- Duct Pizza Oven Duct Definition The pizza oven duct is the ventilation piping taking exhaust from the oven or oven hood. Read More
- Elasticity Dough Elasticity Definition Dough elasticity is the ability of a dough to return to its original shape after stretching. You mostly see this in doughs made with high-protein, high-gluten flours which tend to exhibit this tendency because of their higher gluten content and their more(...) Read More
- Emergency Dough Emergency Dough Definition The emergency dough is designed to be made if you should lose your regular dough. This pizza dough is made as a derivation of your regular pizza dough formula, but the dough temperature is increased to 90-95 F, and you add double the yeast you typically use. Read More
- Emulsifiers Emulsifiers Definition The emulsifier's purpose in pizza dough is to strengthen the dough or soften the crumb. Common emulsifiers include Lecithin and sodium stearoyl lactylate (SSL). Lecithin and SSL can lubricate gluten and slow its growth, leading to longer mixing times than the(...) Read More
- Enzymes Enzymes Definition Enzymes are biological catalysts that accelerate chemical reactions, such as increasing sugar extraction from starch. Read More
- Expansion Expansion Definition Expansion is the normal process occurring in the ceramic oven floor and dome of the oven; it expands and contracts as the oven heats and cools. Read More
- Extensibility Dough Extensibility Definition Extensibility is the ability of a dough to be shaped and stretched without breaking or springing back to its original shape. Doughs made with low-protein low-gluten flours, high hydration levels, and long fermentation times will be more extensible than(...) Read More
- Facade Pizza Oven Facade Definition The pizza oven facade is the decoration that is added on or around the oven. Typical pizza oven facades are tile, brick, stone, stucco, etc. Read More
- Fermentation Pizza Dough Fermentation Definition Fermentation is the process by which yeast metabolizes or consumes simple sugars to produce carbon dioxide and alcohol. Fermentation occurs as the yeast in dough becomes active; this is what causes the rising of the dough, or proving.(...) Read More
- Finished Dough Temperature Finished Dough Temperature Definition The finished dough temperature is the temperature of the dough after mixing. Read More
- Finishing Zone Pizza Oven Finishing Zone Definition The finishing zone is the middle third of the oven from the flame, where pizzas are placed for the last few minutes of cooking, and other longer-cooked foods are placed for a quick finish. Read More
- Fior Di Latte Fior Di Latte Definition Fior Di Latte is the Italian word for Flower of the Milk," a fresh, soft, whole-milk mozzarella cheese made from the milk of a cow. Fior Di Latte is usually kept in salted water to preserve it. Fior Di Latte has a creamy flavor, a soft texture, and a high(...) Read More
- Fire Clay Mortar Fire Clay Mortar Definition Fire Clay Mortar is a mortar made of sand, fire clay, and Portland cement. Fire clay mortar is not as heat resistant as authentic refractory mortar. Read More
- Firebrick Firebrick Definition Firebricks are refractory bricks are used to build the oven dome. Firebrick a is typical medium-duty firebrick made from 30% to 35% alumina and 60% silica which can withstand rapid heat-up and cool-down cycles without cracking. Read More
- Flame Height Management Flame Height Management Definition Flame height management is a simple program for adjusting the radiant flame of a gas pizza oven using its manual control knob. It helps manage a consistent balance of the floor heat and top (dome) heat. Read More
- Floor Pizza Oven Floor Definition The pizza oven floor is the cooking surface of the oven. Read More
- Flour Absorption Flour Absorption Definition Flour absorption is a measurement established by flour producers to describe the capacity of flour to absorb water and achieve the desired dough consistency. The value is expressed in terms of the percent of water absorbed by the flour. Read More
- Ash Flour Ash Definition Ash is a term used concerning flour to indicate its mineral content. The higher the ash count, the more minerals are present in the flour, and vice versa. Read More
- Flue Collar Flue Collar Definition Flue Collar is the exhaust collar extending from the oven, which exits into the ducting or hood. Read More
- Flute Flute Definition Flutes are the waved inner medium of a corrugated cardboard sheet used to give a pizza box strength. Read More
- Fly Pie Fly Pie Definition In pizza slang, the phrase fly pie implies that you need a pizza fast. Read More
- Focaccia Focaccia Definition Focaccia is an Italian yeast bread. It is baked in sheet pans, is made of a dough that uses more yeast than pizza creating its higher rise, and is usually flavored with olive oil and topped with herbs and spices. Read More
- Focaccia Style Pizza Focaccia Style Pizza Definition Focaccia Style Pizza is a style of pizza that has no sauce. Focaccia Style Pizzas are topped with oils, grilled vegetables, and other toppings. Check our pizza styles article for more information and other pizza styles. Read More
- Foundation Pizza Oven Foundation Definition The pizza oven foundation is the area where the oven sits, typically a concrete pad. Read More
- Friction Factor (Ff) Friction Factor Friction Factor Definition The friction factor is a value expressed as temperature, representing the amount of frictional heat imparted to a dough by a particular machine. The equation for friction factor is dough temperature multiplied by 3 minus the sum of the flour temperature,(...) Read More
- Front Door Pizza Oven Front Door Definition In pizza slang, the front door of a pizza oven is the main opening of a brick oven. Read More
- Gabled Enclosure Pizza Oven Gabled Enclosure Definition A pizza oven gabled enclosure is a form of outdoor oven enclosure that features a basic walled structure and a gabled roof. Read More
- Gluten Gluten Definition Gluten is an elastic, sticky substance that results when specific proteins in flour, namely glutenin and gliadin, are mixed with a liquid. Kneading activates gluten development. Before mixing and kneading, the gluten does not exist. When the gluten in dough is(...) Read More
- Grandma Pizza Grandma Pizza Definition Grandma Pizza is a pizza style made at home in a sheet pan. The dough is pushed out to the edge and then topped and baked. The crust is usually thin because the dough doesn't prove enough, making it denser. Check our pizza styles article for more information. Read More
- Gum Line Pizza Gum Line Definition In pizza slang, the "gum line" is a gum-like line that can develop between the crust and the cheese topping. It can be caused by pre-saucing a skin without first applying a light oil coating to the dough surface. Read More
- Hand Forming Pizza Hand Forming Definition In pizza slang, hand forming Is the process of shaping a dough ball into a pizza skin using one’s hands. Read More
- Hearth Pizza Oven Hearth Definition The pizza oven hearth is another name for the floor of the oven. Read More
- Heat-Up Flame Heat-Up Flame Definition Heat-up flame is the radiant flame that results from turning the burner all the way to full height. Read More
- High-Gluten Flour
High-Gluten Flour Definition
High-Gluten Flour is flour with high protein content from 13 to 14% protein content.
Here's Our Recommended High-Protein Content Flour
All Trumps Bleached Bromated Enriched Malted High Gluten Flour
High protein flour milled from select blends of hard spring wheat.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Hipped Enclosure Pizza Oven Hipped Enclosure Definition A hipped enclosure is a form of outdoor oven enclosure that features a basic walled structure, a hipped roof, and a chimney centered over the oven dome. Read More
- Holding Flame Pizza Oven Holding Flame Definition The holding flame of a pizza oven is an approximately 8″ flame, it holds the current temperature of the oven steady. It is used when the oven is empty. Read More
- Hole Structure Hole Structure Definition In pizza slang, a hole structure is the pattern of the network of gluten shown as pockets of air that compose the area under the crust. It is also known as the crumb. Check our gluten article for more information. Read More
- Hood Hood Definition A hood is also called a ventilator. This is a metal box mounted above the oven into which the oven can vent its exhaust, and this exhaust passes through filters before moving onto the duct. Read More
- Hot Press Hot Pizza Press Definition A hot press or hot pizza press is a pizza press that can either have a hot top surface or a bottom hot surface used to shape the dough. Read More
- Hydration Hydration Definition Hydration is a term that refers to the capacity of flour to absorb water. Hydration is usually shown as a baker's percent, or ratio, that is equal to the water's weight divided by the flour's weight. Check our pizza dough hydration article for more information. Read More
- Hydroscopic Hydroscopic Definition Hydroscopic is sometimes spelled "hygroscopic." It's a formula that measures the capacity of a substance to absorb moisture from its surroundings. Read More
- Igloo Pizza Oven Igloo Definition Igloo is the form of the oven enclosure where the exterior oven walls follow the basic shape of the oven chamber to form an igloo, dome, or beehive. Read More
- Infra-Red Burner Infra-Red Burner Definition Infra-Red burner is an underfloor gas burner utilizing super-efficient infrared heat. This burner is not seen when looking inside the cooking chamber. It is a support burner that will not drive temperature by itself but, when used, provides a(...) Read More
- Instant Dry Yeast Instant Dry Yeast Definition Instant Dry Yeast is a variation of dry yeast with a smaller particle size than active dry yeast. Usually, it does not need to be rehydrated in water or other liquid to activate it and can thus be added directly to the flour and other dry(...) Read More
- Insulation Pizza Oven Insulation Definition Insulation is the layer that encloses the oven dome and floor and stops heat from escaping. Without proper insulation, heat will conduct through the oven floor and enclosure, making the outside of the oven hot to the touch. Read More
- Isosceles Isosceles Pizza Definition In pizza slang, an isosceles is a slice of pizza that is compared to an isosceles triangle which has one with two sides of equal length. Read More
- Knead Knead Definition Knead is stretching and working the dough repeatedly to develop elasticity and flexibility, creating gluten strength. Read More
- Kosher Salt Kosher Salt Definition Kosher Salt is a form of salt produced through evaporation processes. Kosher salts usually contain no additives. Read More
- L-Cysteine L-Cysteine Definition L-Cysteine is an ingredient that is used in flour as a treatment agent to aid in the relaxing of gluten in the dough. Read More
- Lagging Lagging Definition In pizza slang, lagging is the metal exterior skin of the oven. Read More
- Landing Pizza Oven Landing Definition The landing is an unspecified area of an oven. It could be the Vent Landing or the Oven Landing. The Vent Landing is the smaller space directly in front of the oven door and below the vent or a larger area at the front of the oven called the oven landing. Read More
- Large Peel Large Peel Definition A large peel is a peel that has a large, flat, reasonably flexible circular head and short handle; it is used to put pizzas and other flatbreads into the oven. Read More
- Laser Infrared Thermometer
Laser Infrared Thermometer Definition
A laser infrared thermometer is a laser thermometer utilizes infrared radiation to determine the temperature of a surface.
Here's Our Favorite Laser Infrared Thermometer
A Must-HaveEtekcity Lasergrip 800 Digital Infrared Thermometer
Point, aim, and measure to get the results you need. The Lasergrip 800 can be used anywhere. Use it for cooking, car maintenance, real estate, electrical engineering, and more. Measure extreme temperatures ranging from -58°F (-50°C) to 1382°F (750°C) without ever needing to come in contact. Its versatile functionality and modernized simplicity can do all of the work for you.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Leopard Spotting Leopard Spotting Definition In pizza slang, leopard spotting is the process whereby small bubbles along the rim of a pizza puff up and are burned black. Mostly happens in the intense heat of a wood-fired oven. Read More
- Levain Levain Definition Levain is a French term for a natural preferment. In the US is called sourdough. Read More
- Lo-Mo Lo-Mo Definition In pizza slang, Lo-Mo is a term used to describe low-moisture mozzarella cheese. Check our cheese for pizza article for more information. Read More
- Low-Moisture Mozzarella Low-Moisture Mozzarella Definition Low-Moisture Mozzarella is a cheese used to make most NY-Style pizzas. Low-moisture mozzarella is saltier and slightly more yellow than fresh mozzarella. According to the USDA, low-moisture mozzarella has a moisture content exceeding 45% but less than(...) Read More
- Make-Up Board Make-Up Board Definition In pizza slang, "make-up board" Is another term for pizza peel. Read More
- Mantle Pizza Oven Mantle Definition The pizza oven mantle is the work shelf in front of the oven door. Read More
- Milwaukee Style Pizza Milwaukee-Style Pizza Definition The Milwaukee-style pizza is a cracker-thin crust that should be crispy and typically cut in “Tavern Cut” square pieces with classic toppings. Check our pizza styles article for more information. Read More
- Montanara Pizza Montanara Pizza Definition For the definition of montanara pizza, see Deep-Fried Pizza. Read More
- Mother Yeast Mother Yeast Definition Mother Yeast is an Italian expression for Starter or Preferment. Read More
- Mozzarella Mozzarella Definition Mozzarella is an Italian fresh milk cheese, traditionally made with Buffalo’s milk. Mozzarella is generally kept in a brine solution to preserve it. The cheese has a creamy flavor, soft texture, and high moisture content. Mozzarella has exceptional melting(...) Read More
- Mozzarella Affumicata Mozzarella Affumicata Definition Mozzarella Affumicata is cold-smoked mozzarella. The texture and flavor of mozzarella affumicata are gentler and have a higher moisture level than buffalo mozzarella. Its exterior is somewhat brown from smoking and has a little off-white tint. However,(...) Read More
- Mozzarella Di Bufala See Buffalo Mozzarella. Read More
- Mustard Pie Mustard Pie Definition Mustard Pie is a pizza with a thin layer of mustard between the crust and the cheese, then topped with tomato sauce. Read More
- Mutz Mutz Definition In pizza slang, "Mutz" is short for Mozzarella. Read More
- Napoletana Oven Napoletana Oven Definition Napoletana Oven is a style of pizza oven that features a lower oven dome height and more aggressively curved dome shape — seen in and around Naples and in ovens built by Neapolitan builders throughout Italy. Read More
- Napolitano Napolitano Definition Napolitano means Neapolitan-style, a traditional style of pizza cooked very quickly at high temperatures. Check our pizza styles article for more information. Read More
- Neapolitan-American-Style Pizza Neapolitan-American-Style Pizza Definition See New York Style Pizza. Check our New York Style pizza recipe for more. Read More
- Neapolitan Pizza Neapolitan Pizza Definition Neapolitan Pizza is a hand-tossed, medium-thickness crust pizza topped with a simple sauce made from fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. This style originated in Naples, Italy. The pizza is cooked at temperatures up to 950F for a short time, 60 – 90(...) Read More
- Neapolitan Pizza Dough Neapolitan Pizza Dough Definition Neapolitan pizza dough is the dough made for making Neapolitan pizza and consists of only flour, water, salt, and a very small amount of yeast. Check our Neapolitan pizza dough recipe for more information. Read More
- New York-Style Pizza New York-Style Pizza Definition New York-Style Pizza is a style of pizza that originated from Italian-American immigrants in New York City. The New York-Style Pizza consists of a thin-crust pizza made from hand-stretched dough that is topped with a cooked sauce made from pureed(...) Read More
- Old Dough Old Dough Definition See Pate Ferment. Read More
- Old Forge Pizza Old Forge Pizza Definition Old Forge Pizza is a style of pizza that originated in the former coal-mining town of Old Forge, Pennsylvania. Old Forge Pizza is similar to the Sicilian style but higher and has a crust that is less crunchy and without color. It’s characterized by a(...) Read More
- On Deck On Deck Pizza Definition In pizza slang, "On Deck" means pizzas that are ready to be loaded into the oven. Read More
- Ooni/Uuni Pizza Oven Ooni Pizza Oven Definition The Ooni Pizza Ovens is a pizza oven brand that designs and manufactures domestic pizza ovens. They offer a range of ovens utilizing various fuel types, including gas and wood pellets. Every Ooni oven can reach very high temperatures to cook Neapolitan(...) Read More
- Organic Flour Organic Flour Definition Organic Flours are flours that have not been treated at all or may have limited treatment. Read More
- Oven Brush
Oven Brush Definition
An oven brush is a soft copper or brass brush used for cleaning the oven floor.
Here's Our Favorite Pizza Oven Brush
- Oven Dome Pizza Oven Dome Definition The Oven dome is the curved vault of the pizza oven. The parabolic, round shape of the dome is efficient with wood fuel and evenly reflects heat back down on the oven floor for cooking the perfect pizza. Read More
- Oven Door Pizza Oven Door Definition The pizza oven door is what covers the opening of the wood-fired oven. You use the oven door to regulate air intake and the strength of your fire during oven firing and to close the oven for retained heat cooking. An insulated door improves a pizza oven’s(...) Read More
- Oven Enclosure Pizza Oven Enclosure Definition The pizza oven enclosure is the structural and decorative components of the pizza oven that provide the base for the oven and the walls that enclose the insulation. Read More
- Oven Firing Pizza Oven Firing Definition Oven firing is the fire inside the oven chamber that heats the refractory material that comprises the oven. Read More
- Oven Floor Pizza Oven Floor Definition The pizza oven floor is the cooking surface of a pizza oven. Read More
- Oven Landing Pizza Oven Landing Definition The pizza oven landing is the area in front of the oven where you place food going in and out of the oven. Read More
- Oven Opening Pizza Oven Opening Definition The pizza oven opening is the entrance to the oven chamber. The size of the opening should be large enough to accommodate pots, pans, grills, and of course pizza. Read More
- Oven Spring Pizza Oven Spring Definition Once loaded into the oven, the pizza oven spring is the rapid increase and final burst in dough expansion. Read More
- Oven Stand
Pizza Oven Stand Definition
The oven stand is the support of a pizza oven.
Here's the Pizza Oven Stand We Recommend
Ooni Modular Table - Ooni USA
Ooni Modular Tables are the perfect surface for your Ooni pizza oven and accessories.
All Ooni pizza oven models fit perfectly on the stainless steel work surface, and your propane tank will fit neatly on the lower shelf.
These tables are made of robust powder-coated carbon steel. They also feature two height-adjustable shelves and built-in hooks for your Ooni peels and accessories. Plus, the two lockable casters will keep your table steady while you cook.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Oxidation Pizza Dough Oxidation Definition Oxidation is a chemical reaction when air is incorporated into the dough by mixing and kneading. If the dough is kneaded too long, it can suffer from oxidation and lose color and flavor in the finished crust. Read More
- Oxidizing Agents Pizza Dough Oxidizing Agents Definition Oxidizing agents are agents that improve the pizza dough's strength by forming bonds between the protein chains. Examples of oxidizing dough agents include ascorbic acid, bromate, and calcium iodate. Read More
- Pan Pizza Pan Pizza Definition Pan pizza is a thick-crust pizza that gets its name because it's cooked in a pan. See also Chicago Style Pizza. Check our Chicago Deep Dish pizza recipe for more information. Read More
- Panetti Panetti Definition "Panetti" is an Italian word that translates to "small loaf" in English. It is often used in a culinary context to refer to a small piece of dough. In pizza making, Panetti are small balls of pizza dough weighing between about six to nine ounces and portioned by(...) Read More
- Par-Bake Par-Bake Definition Par-Bake is the partial baking of the crust, without anything on it, to be used to prepare a finished pizza at a later date. Read More
- Parchment Paper Parchment Paper Definition Parchment paper is a paper that has been treated with sulfuric acid and coated with silicone. The sulfuric acid makes the paper's surface smooth, resists grease and moisture, and tolerates high oven temperatures. The silicone coating prevents foods from(...) Read More
- Parmigiano Reggiano Parmigiano Reggiano Definition Parmigiano Reggiano is the most widely known variety of parmesan cheese, an essential cooking cheese in northern Italy. Check out our cheese guide for more information. Here's Where You Can Find the Best Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese [lasso(...) Read More
- Party Cut Party Cut Definition A party cut is a circular pizza that is cut into squares. It is mainly found in St. Louis. Read More
- Pasta Filata Pasta Filata Definition Pasta filata is a process that gives certain cheeses a stringy, stretchy quality. After the milk is curdled, curds are cut into pieces, steeped in hot water, drained, and then kneaded until they achieve a soft, stringy texture. Read More
- Pastry Flour Pastry Flour Definition Pastry flour is a relatively low-protein flour typically milled from soft white, red winter wheat and primarily used for pastries. Here's the Pastry Flour We Recommend [lasso(...) Read More
- Pate Fermentee Pate Fermentee Definition Pate Fermentee is a French term that means slightly-aged pre-fermented dough. Read More
- Peel Pizza Peel Definition Pizza Peel is long-handled spade-shaped tool bakers use to get pizza into or out of the oven. Peels generally come in wood and metal versions. Check our pizza peel article for more information. Read More
- Pie Pie Definition Pie is a word commonly used to describe an entire pizza. Check our article "Why is pizza called pie?" for more information. Read More
- Pizza Pizza Definition Pizza is a food made from flat, usually round bread that is topped with usually tomato sauce and cheese and often with meat or vegetables. Read More
- Pizza Al Metro Pizza Al Metro Definition Pizza Al Metro is the Italian word for ‘pizza by the meter,’ which is how Roman pizza, usually a thin, meter-long rectangular pizza, is sold in Italy. Read More
- Pizza Bianca Pizza Bianca Definition Pizza Bianca is the Italian word for “white pizza.” It is a Roman flatbread pizza without tomato sauce, flavored with salt and olive oil. Read More
- Pizza Bones Pizza Bones Definition In pizza slang, pizza bones are the leftover, uneaten crusts or dough lips usually bare of cheese or sauce. Read More
- Pizza Cossaca Pizza Cossaca Definition Pizza Cossaca is an Italian Neapolitan-Style Pizza consisting of tomato sauce, hard cheese parmesan (pecorino), basil, and extra virgin olive oil. Check out our pizza styles article for more information. Read More
- Pizza Crust Pizza Crust Definition Pizza Crust is the dough that serves as a base for the pizza that is prepared, formed into a circular, square, or rectangular shape, baked, and then topped with pizza ingredients. Read More
- Pizza Diavola Pizza Diavola Definition Pizza Diavola is the Italian word for "Devil," so this is one hot pizza! A Neapolitan pizza diavola typically consists of tomato sauce, mozzarella, hot salami, and chilies. Read More
- Pizza Dough Pizza Dough Definition Pizza dough is a mix of primarily flour and water and a small amount of yeast to enable fermentation. Depending on the style, pizza dough is also seasoned with salt and sometimes oil and sugar. Check our pizza dough recipe to learn how to make it. Read More
- Pizza Margherita Pizza Margherita Definition Pizza Margherita was created in 1889 by Raffaele Esposito in honor of Italy's Queen Margherita. So he created the classic Neapolitan pizza, consisting of crust, San Marzano tomatoes, mozzarella di bufala (or fior di latte), and fresh basil. Esposito wanted(...) Read More
- Pizza Marinara Pizza Marinara Definition Pizza Marinara is a classic Neapolitan pizza that consists of pureed tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, oregano, and sometimes anchovies. There is no cheese on a marinara pizza. Read More
- Pizza Oven Pizza Oven Definition A pizza oven is a traditional, round-domed Italian wood-fired oven optimized for baking pizza. The best pizza ovens have a pizza stone or steel and utilize a naked flame powered by either solid fuel such as wood or gas. Check our recommended pizza ovens for more(...) Read More
- Arch Pizza Oven Arch Definition The arch in a pizza oven is a circular, arched vault, the opening into the pizza oven chamber, which can use either a flat or arched top and the opening into the vent landing. The arch of a pizza oven can also be constructed either as a rectangle, with a flat(...) Read More
- Pizza Palate Pizza Palate Definition In pizza slang, pizza palate is the word for a burn on the roof of your mouth from pizza that’s too hot. Read More
- Pizza Peel Pizza Peel Definition A pizza peel is a large wooden paddle used to lift pizza to and from a hot oven. Check our pizza peels article for more information. Read More
- Pizza Screen
Pizza Screen Definition
A pizza screen is a round screen used for cooling pizza. It's used to let cool the pizza without steaming the bottom.
Here's our recommended pizza screen.
Winco Seamless Aluminum Pizza Screen
Ensure an evenly baked, crispy crust when you choose this aluminum mesh pizza screen from Winco.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Pizza Steel Pizza Steel Definition A pizza steel is a thick steel plate used for cooking pizzas. Steel holds its temperature more effectively than ceramic or stone and is much less prone to warping, cracking, and shattering. Here's our recommended pizza steel. [lasso ref="shareasale-7"(...) Read More
- Pizza Stone Pizza Stone Definition A pizza stone is a hard, heat-safe surface for baking pizzas. Usually made of polished stones or man-made materials. Pizza stones imitate the effect of brick or stone ovens and facilitate home cooks in creating crisp-crusted bread and pizzas. Check our pizza(...) Read More
- Pizzaiola/Pizzaiole Pizzaiola/Pizzaiole Definition Pizzaiola is the feminine forms of pizzaiolo. Check our pizzaiola article for more information and how you can become one. Read More
- Pizzaiolo Pizzaiolo Definition A pizzaiolo is a highly respected craftsman that has mastered the art of pizza. Check our pizzaiolo article for more information. Get your Pizzaiolo T-shirt. Pizza T-Shirt - Pizzaiolo $29.95 Select options Read More
- Poolish Poolish Definition Poolish is a French term with Polish origins that means Preferment or starter. Preferment is a dough made with equal amounts of flour and water with a hydration of 100% and a small amount of yeast, but usually no salt. A poolish imparts a sweet flavor and a chewy texture(...) Read More
- Pot Cheese Pot Cheese Definition In pizza slang, pot cheese is a word for ricotta cheese. Read More
- Pre-Bake Pre-Bake Definition Pre-Bake is the process of partially baking a dough, for a few to several minutes, without anything on the dough, for the purpose of creating a greater rise in the crust or allowing the crust to dry out before adding sauce, cheeses and other toppings and completing the(...) Read More
- Proof / Proofing Proof / Proofing Definition Proofing is a term often used to describe the final rise of the dough just before baking. Check our pizza dough proofing guide for more information. Read More
- Protein Flour Protein Content Definition The flour protein content is the dominant protein found in wheat flour, namely glutenin and gliadin, which form gluten when combined. See Gluten for more information. Check our gluten in pizza article for more information. Read More
- Provolone Cheese Provolone Cheese Definition Provolone cheese is an Italian cheese similar to pasta filata or stretched curd cheese. In these stringy-textured cheeses, the curd is cooked to a relatively high temperature and is pulled and molded while hot into various shapes. The name provolone is(...) Read More
- Radiant Burner Radiant Burner Definition A radiant burner in a pizza oven is the visible flame gas burner utilizing radiant heat inside the dome. By design, it is a yellow flame to maximize the heat distribution. It is the primary heat source in any wood stone oven utilizing gas. Read More
- Rapid-Rise (Quick-Rise) Yeast Rapid-Rise (Quick-Rise) Yeast Definition Rapid-Rise yeast is a type of Instant Dry Yeast. It's typically used for bread machines as it acts very quickly. Rapid-rise yeast is not recommended for pizza. Read More
- Raw Landing Zone Pizza Oven Raw Landing Zone Definition In a pizza oven, the raw landing zone is the area on the oven floor farthest from the flame. Read More
- Reducing Agents Reducing Agents Definition In pizza, reducing agents are dough additives that weaken the protein by breaking bonds between proteins during mixing, thereby reducing the mixing times and dough elasticity. Examples of reducing agents include ascorbic acid, sulfites, and L-Cysteine. Read More
- Refractory Refractory Definition Refractory is a material that is designed to withstand heat and high temperatures. Read More
- Release Agent Release Agent Definition Release Agent is a substance that helps prevent an unbaked pizza from sticking to the pizza peel so that the pizza will slide off easily into the oven. The most common release agent for pizza dough is corn meal. Read More
- Retained Heat Cooking Retained Heat Cooking Definition Retained Heat Cooking is the style of cooking where you rake the fire and coals out of the pizza oven and cook using the heat held in the refractory material. Read More
- Retarded Dough See Cold Fermentation. Read More
- Retarder Dough Retarder Definition When proving dough, a dough retarder is a refrigerator that is used to manage yeast fermentation. By lowering the dough's temperature, more diverse fermentation products are produced, resulting in a slower, longer rise and more nuanced taste. In manufacturing(...) Read More
- Ripen Ripen Definition Ripen is a term commonly used to describe the maturation of the preferment. Read More
- Roadie Roadie Definition Roadie is a slang term for a slice of pizza taken for the road. Read More
- Roccbox Pizza Oven Roccbox Pizza Oven Definition Is a domestic pizza oven offered by the company Gozney. Unlike other pizza oven manufacturers focusing mainly on solid fuel ovens, Gozney has concentrated on gas. Although less portable and more expensive than other pizza ovens, the Roccbox is one of the(...) Read More
Pizza Rocker Definition
A pizza rocker is a mezzaluna or curved blade for cutting Chicago Deep-dish pizzas.
Here's Our Recommended Pizza Rocker
The Ultimate Pizza Cutter Rocker Blade
Ultimate Pizza Cutter uses a premium, food-grade hardened stainless steel blade, knife quality, that allows you to cut large pizzas easily and in one move and, unlike wheel cutters, your cheese and toppings won’t slide anymore!Pros:
- Double handles
- Perfect for all pizzas
- Easy to use
We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Has a fragile handle
Pizza Roller Definition
Pizza Roller is another word for a pizza-slicing wheel.
Here's Our Recommended Pizza Wheel
Our Top PickOXO Steel Pizza Wheel and Cutter
OXO SteeL Pizza Wheel has a strong, sharp stainless steel blade that makes slicing pizza easy as pie.
A stainless steel thumb guard keeps fingers safely away from the blade. And the OXO SteeL handle combines the strength of brushed stainless steel with the comfort of a soft grip.Pros:
- Perfect for thicker pizzas
- Lacks BPA
- Dishwasher safe
We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- The blade could be very sharp
- Romano Cheese Romano Cheese Definition Romano Cheese is an Italian, sharp cheese resembling Parmesan cheese. Read More
- San Marzano Tomatoes San Marzano Tomatoes Definition San Marzano Tomatoes are plum tomatoes grown in the volcanic soil of San Marzano, Italy. They are ideal for pizza sauce due to their low sugar content and juicy flesh. Here are our favorite San Marzano tomatoes. [lasso(...) Read More
Pizza Screen Definition
A pizza screen is a firm aluminum shallow pan with a mesh structure for baking or cooling a pizza.
Here's our favorite pizza screen.
Winco Seamless Aluminum Pizza Screen
Ensure an evenly baked, crispy crust when you choose this aluminum mesh pizza screen from Winco.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Sea Salt Sea Salt Definition Sea Salt is a form of salt formed from the evaporation of seawater. It has a larger particle size than ordinary table salt. Sea Salt comes in different particle size gradations, including very coarse, which may require grinding in a mill or mortar and pestle before(...) Read More
- Self-Rising Flour Self-Rising Flour Definition Self-Rising Flour is produced using low-protein flour with protein content and double-acting baking powder. Check our self-rising flour article for more information. Here's our favorite self-rising flour. [lasso(...) Read More
- Semolina Flour Semolina Flour Definition Semolina Flour is a coarse, granular flour product with bright yellow color produced by milling durum wheat, a high-protein, high-gluten wheat. Read More
- Sheet / Sheeting Sheeting Definition Sheeting is the process of rolling pizza dough into a very thin and uniform sheet using a dough sheeter. Here's our favorite pizza dough sheeter. [lasso(...) Read More
- Sicilian Pizza Sicilian Pizza Definition Sicilian Pizza is a thick-crust, often square-shaped pizza topped with sauce, meats, vegetables, and cheeses. Check our Sicilian pizza recipe to learn how to make it. Read More
- Sinatra Sinatra Definition Sinatra is a pizza slang term used mostly in Newark, PA. It refers to a pizza that comes out perfectly. Read More
- Skin Skin Definition Skin is a term used by pizza makers to describe a dough round that has been shaped and stretched in preparation for dressing and baking. Read More
- Slack Dough Slack Dough Definition Slack Dough is a pizza slang used to describe an overly wet dough with no elasticity or spring-back. Read More
- Slap Out Some Skins Slap Out Some Skins Definition Slap Out Some Skins is a pizza slang term used to describe the process of stretching out dough balls. Read More
- Snag ‘N’ Drag
Snag ‘N’ Drag Definition
Snag ‘N’ Drag is a term popularized by Scott Wiener that refers to taking a slice of pizza from the tray—you must snag, then drag, horizontally to ensure nothing slips off the crust.
Check out Scott Wiener's pizza tours.
Highly Recommended! Best Tours Ever!Scott's Pizza Tours (New York City)
Scott's Pizza Tours runs public and private tours of New York's vast pizza landscape by bus and on foot. Every tour stops at multiple pizzerias, each highlighting a different phase in the evolution of the dish from its humble beginnings as a street snack to its current position as New Yorkers' food of choice.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Soggification Soggification Definition Soggification is a pizza slang term when the crust gets damp from too much liquid on top or from the enclosure in the pizza box. Read More
- Sourdough Sourdough Definition Sourdough refers to any dough that is made using wild yeast. The wild yeast is harvested by mixing flour and water together, usually in equal quantities, to form a starter. This starter is regularly topped up with fresh flour and water to create yeast. The flavor(...) Read More
- Staglio A Mano Staglio A Mano Definition Staglio A Mano s the term used to describe turning Neapolitan pizza dough into small balls by hand. Read More
- Starter Starter Definition Starter refers to a dough that contains active yeast and is made to add to another dough later. The starter leaven (proof/rise) the dough instead of directly adding yeast. Once alive, a starter can last indefinitely. A starter or pre-ferment can be in the form of(...) Read More
- Steel Plates Steel Plates Definition These rectangular or square metal plates are made of steel and can be used with many standard home ovens to bake pizzas. Steel plates are also known as baking steels. Here's our recommended steel plate or baking steel. Read More
- Stucco Stucco Definition Stucco is a plaster-like mixture used to finish ovens in the traditional “igloo style.” Read More
- Stuffed Pizza Stuffed Pizza Definition Stuffed Pizza is similar to a Chicago-Style Pizza as it’s made in a deep dish, but then the ingredients are topped with another layer of thin dough, sauce, and cheese. Read More
- Tare Tare Definition Tare is the weight of a container that is deducted from the gross weight to obtain net weight. Most digital scales allow you to perform this task efficiently by placing the empty container on the scale and pressing the tare button. Then, when the container is filled,(...) Read More
- Test Kitchen Test Kitchen Definition A test kitchen is a kitchen used for the process of developing and testing new kinds of recipes. Read More
- Thermal Cleaning Pizza Oven Thermal Cleaning Definition Thermal Cleaning is the process of heating the empty chamber of the oven to 600-650 degrees for 3 hours to help “self-clean” the oven. Read More
- Thermal Layer Pizza Oven Thermal Layer Definition The thermal Layer includes all of the material in the pizza oven that absorbs and retains heat for cooking or is exposed to fire and high temperatures. These include the oven floor, oven dome, and oven vent. Read More
- Thermal Mass Thermal Mass Definition Thermal Mass describes the volume of refractory material in the oven that you must heat to prepare your oven to cook. Read More
- Thermocouple Thermocouple Definition The thermocouple is a small probe and wire cable that is installed in the pizza oven that will output the temperature of the oven at that spot in the oven to a temperature display. Read More
- Three Bears-Style Three Bears-Style Definition Three Bears-Style is a pizza slang term used to describe a pie cut in unequal size slices. Momma Bear, Papa Bear, and Baby Bear slices—too large, too small, just right. Read More
- Tile Pizza Oven Tile Definition Tile is the facade material for pizza ovens. Read More
- Tiles Pizza Oven Tiles Definition Tiles are unglazed, fired, quarry clay tiles used in arrangements of one or more layers on an oven rack or grill as an alternative to pizza stones for baking pizzas. Read More
- Tipo "00" Flour Tipo "00" Flour Definition Tipo "00" Flour is the finest ground flour in Italy, with a high-gluten content. It’s used to make Neapolitan Pizza and is a required ingredient in any pizza designated as VPN or True Neapolitan Pizza. Read More
- Turning Peel Turning Peel Definition A turning peel is used to turn pizzas while cooking in an oven, especially wood-fired ovens and home pizza ovens. Read More
- Tuscan Oven Tuscan Oven Definition A Tuscan Oven features a slightly higher oven dome and less aggressive inward slope than the Napoletana Oven. This shape provides slightly better heat retention for baking and roasting . Read More
- Upskirt, Or Under The Hood Upskirt, Or Under The Hood, is a pizza slang term used to describe when one is checking out the bottom of the crust to inspect char marks. Read More
- Utility Peel Utility Peel Definition A utility peel has a smaller, slightly thicker head, a longer handle, and is not flexible. It moves or removes food and cooking vessels from the oven. Read More
- Vent Pizza Oven Vent Definition The pizza oven vent It is located in front and above the oven opening and collects the smoke and hot air that is exhausted from the top half of the opening. Read More
- Vent Landing Vent Landing is the small landing directly in front of the oven opening. Read More
- Vera Pizza Napoletana Vera Pizza Napoletana is an organization whose goal is to promote and protect the name and the product Pizza Napoletana; a style of pizza and tradition found in Naples. The term Vera, or Verace, means true, genuine, or real. Read More
- Verace Pizza Napoletana The Verace Pizza Napoletana specification was initially created at a meeting of Naples’ most venerated Pizzaioli, who came together to define the perfect pizza — they even signed a public declaration supporting the specification. Today, there are two aspects to VPN. First, non-profit(...) Read More
- Vital Wheat Gluten Vital Wheat Gluten Definition Vital Wheat Gluten is a dried wheat protein of high-gluten, hard wheat grain that has had all of the starch removed and is then dried. Vital Wheat Gluten is frequently used to supplement other flours to increase the overall protein level of such(...) Read More
- VPN (Vera Pizza Napoletana) VPN (Vera Pizza Napoletana) Definition VPN stands for Vera Pizza Napoletana, a designation awarded by the Verace Pizza Napoletana Association of Italy that guarantees that member pizzerias make their pizzas according to strict Neapolitan standards. Read More
- Wet Mutz Wet Mutz Definition Wet Mutz is a pizza slang that refers to fresh mozzarella. Read More
- White Oven White Oven Definition A white oven features a separate firing chamber below the oven cooking chamber, where the heat of the fire is vented into the cooking chamber. Read More
- White Pizza White Pizza Definition A white pizza is a pizza without tomato sauce. Read More
- Wood Fired Oven Wood Fired Oven Definition A wood fired oven is an oven made from large bricks or clay that cooks Neapolitan pizza using real wood fire. Check our recommended wood-fired pizza ovens. Read More
- Wood-Fired Pizza Definition Wood-Fired Pizza Definition These are pizzas that are baked in a wood-fired pizza oven which tend to cook faster because of the very high heat, plus they show bits of “char” around the edges and have a hint of smoky flavor. Read More
- Wood Pellets Wood Pellets Definition Wood Pellets are small cylindrical pieces of compacted wood. They can be made of various types of wood, and food-grade wood pellets are available. Wood pellets are ideal for home pizza ovens as they contain no additives and are designed to burn at high temperatures. Read More
- Yeast Definition Yeast Definition What Does Yeast Mean? Yeast is a single-celled, microscopic organism belonging to the fungi kingdom. It is a diverse group of microorganisms with over 1,500 known species. The most common type of yeast used in baking and fermentation is Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which(...) Read More
Check Our Recommended Products
“Why is Pizza Called Pie? Here’s Everything You Need to Know
Are you wondering why is pizza called pie? This controversy is one of the most pressing issues among food lovers. …
Why is Pizza Called Pizza? Find all the Knead to Know Facts!
Why is pizza called pizza? Are you wondering why is pizza called pizza? We all know what pizza is. Right? …
The Complete List of Words to Describe Pizza that Will Make You a Food Critic
Words to Describe Pizza Are you in search of words to describe pizza? Creating a pizza description seems like a …
7 Steps on How to Describe Pizza that Will Make Your Readers Drool
Are you looking for guidance on how to describe pizza? We’ve got you covered! Restaurants, pizza blog writers, and friends …
Pizza Lingo: A Sizzling Tour Through 900+ Pizza Words
Have you ever been intrigued by the array of jargon used in the world of pizza? From ‘Neapolitan’ and ‘pan-style’ …
Not a PRO? Not a Problem!
Take a pizza class to bring your pizza skills to the next level,
so you can be a PRO!
How to Proof Pizza Dough: Step-by-Step Instructions for a Light, Airy Pizza Crust
It’s no secret that the true magic of an incredible homemade pizza lies not only in its toppings but also …
Homemade Pizza Sauce: Crafting the Perfect Blend
You know that dreamy moment when you take a bite of pizza and the world just stops? When all the …
San Marzano Tomatoes: The Red Gold of Naples, Now on Your Homemade Pizza
Welcome, dear tomato aficionados and pizza lovers alike, to the world of the illustrious San Marzano tomato. Ah, the San …
Check Out Our Pizza T-Shirts
Pizza T-Shirt – Pizzaiolo Red Underline$29.95
Pizza T-Shirt – I Love Pizza$29.95
Pizza T-Shirt – Pizzaiola$29.95
Check Out Our Preferred Vendors
Subscribe to our Recipe of the Week newsletter and receive our partners’ latest recipes, tips, and discount offers.
Keep in Touch!