Glossary of Pizza Terms and Definitions
“Pizza” is a word that any language can understand.
Welcome to the most comprehensive pizza glossary and terms definitions on the internet. We carefully added what we think are all words related to pizza and pizza ovens.
You will find the pizza term definitions, related pizza terms, and related pizza articles to that term.
For a comprehensive list of pizza words, check our article on 900+ Pizza Words.
We have from the most serious pizza terms to pizza slang.
Discover the Word of the Day!
Are We Missing Any Pizza Terms?
You can suggest a term if you think we are missing any pizza words that can be useful for our readers.
Glossary of Pizza Terms and Definitions
Whether you’re a pizza aficionado or just a casual fan, this guide will introduce you to the delicious world of pizza.
From traditional toppings to modern twists, this glossary covers the essential vocabulary you need to know to fully appreciate the art of pizza-making. So take a slice of this knowledge pie and expand your pizza horizons!
This pizza glossary will define common pizza terms and ingredients and some interesting pizza slang.
So let’s dive in and explore the savory world of pizza together!
- Pan Pizza Pan Pizza Definition Pan pizza is a thick-crust pizza that gets its name because it's cooked in a pan. See also Chicago Style Pizza. Check our Chicago Deep Dish pizza recipe for more information. Read More
- Panetti Panetti Definition "Panetti" is an Italian word that translates to "small loaf" in English. It is often used in a culinary context to refer to a small piece of dough. In pizza making, Panetti are small balls of pizza dough weighing between about six to nine ounces and portioned by(...) Read More
- Par-Bake Par-Bake Definition Par-Bake is the partial baking of the crust, without anything on it, to be used to prepare a finished pizza at a later date. Read More
- Parchment Paper Parchment Paper Definition Parchment paper is a paper that has been treated with sulfuric acid and coated with silicone. The sulfuric acid makes the paper's surface smooth, resists grease and moisture, and tolerates high oven temperatures. The silicone coating prevents foods from(...) Read More
- Parmigiano Reggiano Parmigiano Reggiano Definition Parmigiano Reggiano is the most widely known variety of parmesan cheese, an essential cooking cheese in northern Italy. Check out our cheese guide for more information. Here's Where You Can Find the Best Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese [lasso(...) Read More
- Party Cut Party Cut Definition A party cut is a circular pizza that is cut into squares. It is mainly found in St. Louis. Read More
- Pasta Filata Pasta Filata Definition Pasta filata is a process that gives certain cheeses a stringy, stretchy quality. After the milk is curdled, curds are cut into pieces, steeped in hot water, drained, and then kneaded until they achieve a soft, stringy texture. Read More
- Pastry Flour Pastry Flour Definition Pastry flour is a relatively low-protein flour typically milled from soft white, red winter wheat and primarily used for pastries. Here's the Pastry Flour We Recommend [lasso(...) Read More
- Pate Fermentee Pate Fermentee Definition Pate Fermentee is a French term that means slightly-aged pre-fermented dough. Read More
- Peel Pizza Peel Definition Pizza Peel is long-handled spade-shaped tool bakers use to get pizza into or out of the oven. Peels generally come in wood and metal versions. Check our pizza peel article for more information. Read More
- Pie Pie Definition Pie is a word commonly used to describe an entire pizza. Check our article "Why is pizza called pie?" for more information. Read More
- Pizza Pizza Definition Pizza is a food made from flat, usually round bread that is topped with usually tomato sauce and cheese and often with meat or vegetables. Read More
- Pizza Al Metro Pizza Al Metro Definition Pizza Al Metro is the Italian word for ‘pizza by the meter,’ which is how Roman pizza, usually a thin, meter-long rectangular pizza, is sold in Italy. Read More
- Pizza Bianca Pizza Bianca Definition Pizza Bianca is the Italian word for “white pizza.” It is a Roman flatbread pizza without tomato sauce, flavored with salt and olive oil. Read More
- Pizza Bones Pizza Bones Definition In pizza slang, pizza bones are the leftover, uneaten crusts or dough lips usually bare of cheese or sauce. Read More
- Pizza Cossaca Pizza Cossaca Definition Pizza Cossaca is an Italian Neapolitan-Style Pizza consisting of tomato sauce, hard cheese parmesan (pecorino), basil, and extra virgin olive oil. Check out our pizza styles article for more information. Read More
- Pizza Crust Pizza Crust Definition Pizza Crust is the dough that serves as a base for the pizza that is prepared, formed into a circular, square, or rectangular shape, baked, and then topped with pizza ingredients. Read More
- Pizza Diavola Pizza Diavola Definition Pizza Diavola is the Italian word for "Devil," so this is one hot pizza! A Neapolitan pizza diavola typically consists of tomato sauce, mozzarella, hot salami, and chilies. Read More
- Pizza Dough Pizza Dough Definition Pizza dough is a mix of primarily flour and water and a small amount of yeast to enable fermentation. Depending on the style, pizza dough is also seasoned with salt and sometimes oil and sugar. Check our pizza dough recipe to learn how to make it. Read More
- Pizza Margherita Pizza Margherita Definition Pizza Margherita was created in 1889 by Raffaele Esposito in honor of Italy's Queen Margherita. So he created the classic Neapolitan pizza, consisting of crust, San Marzano tomatoes, mozzarella di bufala (or fior di latte), and fresh basil. Esposito wanted(...) Read More
- Pizza Marinara Pizza Marinara Definition Pizza Marinara is a classic Neapolitan pizza that consists of pureed tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, oregano, and sometimes anchovies. There is no cheese on a marinara pizza. Read More
- Pizza Oven Pizza Oven Definition A pizza oven is a traditional, round-domed Italian wood-fired oven optimized for baking pizza. The best pizza ovens have a pizza stone or steel and utilize a naked flame powered by either solid fuel such as wood or gas. Check our recommended pizza ovens for more(...) Read More
- Arch Pizza Oven Arch Definition The arch in a pizza oven is a circular, arched vault, the opening into the pizza oven chamber, which can use either a flat or arched top and the opening into the vent landing. The arch of a pizza oven can also be constructed either as a rectangle, with a flat(...) Read More
- Pizza Palate Pizza Palate Definition In pizza slang, pizza palate is the word for a burn on the roof of your mouth from pizza that’s too hot. Read More
- Pizza Peel Pizza Peel Definition A pizza peel is a large wooden paddle used to lift pizza to and from a hot oven. Check our pizza peels article for more information. Read More
- Pizza Screen
Pizza Screen Definition
A pizza screen is a round screen used for cooling pizza. It's used to let cool the pizza without steaming the bottom.
Here's our recommended pizza screen.
- Pizza Steel Pizza Steel Definition A pizza steel is a thick steel plate used for cooking pizzas. Steel holds its temperature more effectively than ceramic or stone and is much less prone to warping, cracking, and shattering. Here's our recommended pizza steel. [lasso ref="shareasale-7"(...) Read More
- Pizza Stone Pizza Stone Definition A pizza stone is a hard, heat-safe surface for baking pizzas. Usually made of polished stones or man-made materials. Pizza stones imitate the effect of brick or stone ovens and facilitate home cooks in creating crisp-crusted bread and pizzas. Check our pizza(...) Read More
- Pizzaiola/Pizzaiole Pizzaiola/Pizzaiole Definition Pizzaiola is the feminine forms of pizzaiolo. Check our pizzaiola article for more information and how you can become one. Read More
- Pizzaiolo Pizzaiolo Definition A pizzaiolo is a highly respected craftsman that has mastered the art of pizza. Check our pizzaiolo article for more information. Get your Pizzaiolo T-shirt. Pizza T-Shirt - Pizzaiolo $29.95 Select options Read More
- Poolish Poolish Definition Poolish is a French term with Polish origins that means Preferment or starter. Preferment is a dough made with equal amounts of flour and water with a hydration of 100% and a small amount of yeast, but usually no salt. A poolish imparts a sweet flavor and a chewy texture(...) Read More
- Pot Cheese Pot Cheese Definition In pizza slang, pot cheese is a word for ricotta cheese. Read More
- Pre-Bake Pre-Bake Definition Pre-Bake is the process of partially baking a dough, for a few to several minutes, without anything on the dough, for the purpose of creating a greater rise in the crust or allowing the crust to dry out before adding sauce, cheeses and other toppings and completing the(...) Read More
- Proof / Proofing Proof / Proofing Definition Proofing is a term often used to describe the final rise of the dough just before baking. Check our pizza dough proofing guide for more information. Read More
- Protein Flour Protein Content Definition The flour protein content is the dominant protein found in wheat flour, namely glutenin and gliadin, which form gluten when combined. See Gluten for more information. Check our gluten in pizza article for more information. Read More
- Provolone Cheese Provolone Cheese Definition Provolone cheese is an Italian cheese similar to pasta filata or stretched curd cheese. In these stringy-textured cheeses, the curd is cooked to a relatively high temperature and is pulled and molded while hot into various shapes. The name provolone is(...) Read More
Check Our Recommended Products
Are you wondering why is pizza called pie? This controversy is one of the most pressing issues among food lovers. …
Why is pizza called pizza? Are you wondering why is pizza called pizza? We all know what pizza is. Right? …
Words to Describe Pizza Are you in search of words to describe pizza? Creating a pizza description seems like a …
Are you looking for guidance on how to describe pizza? We’ve got you covered! Restaurants, pizza blog writers, and friends …
Not a PRO? Not a Problem!
Take a pizza class to bring your pizza skills to the next level,
so you can be a PRO!
Costco Pizza Price 2023 Costco Pizza is one of the best options for finding delicious and affordable pizza. Its large …
Check Out Our Pizza T-Shirts
Check Out Our Preferred Vendors
Subscribe to our Recipe of the Week newsletter and receive our partners’ latest recipes, tips, and discount offers.
Keep in Touch!