Glossary of Pizza Terms and Definitions
“Pizza” is a word that any language can understand.
Welcome to the most comprehensive pizza glossary and terms definitions on the internet. We carefully added what we think are all words related to pizza and pizza ovens.
You will find the pizza term definitions, related pizza terms, and related pizza articles to that term.
For a comprehensive list of pizza words, check our article on 900+ Pizza Words.
We have from the most serious pizza terms to pizza slang.
Discover the Word of the Day!
Crumb Definition Crumb is the structure of the inside of a baked pizza crust or…
Are We Missing Any Pizza Terms?
You can suggest a term if you think we are missing any pizza words that can be useful for our readers.
Glossary of Pizza Terms and Definitions
Whether you’re a pizza aficionado or just a casual fan, this guide will introduce you to the delicious world of pizza.
From traditional toppings to modern twists, this glossary covers the essential vocabulary you need to know to fully appreciate the art of pizza-making. So take a slice of this knowledge pie and expand your pizza horizons!
This pizza glossary will define common pizza terms and ingredients and some interesting pizza slang.
So let’s dive in and explore the savory world of pizza together!
- Hand Forming Pizza Hand Forming Definition In pizza slang, hand forming Is the process of shaping a dough ball into a pizza skin using one’s hands. Read More
- Hearth Pizza Oven Hearth Definition The pizza oven hearth is another name for the floor of the oven. Read More
- Heat-Up Flame Heat-Up Flame Definition Heat-up flame is the radiant flame that results from turning the burner all the way to full height. Read More
- High-Gluten Flour
High-Gluten Flour Definition
High-Gluten Flour is flour with high protein content from 13 to 14% protein content.
Here's Our Recommended High-Protein Content Flour
All Trumps Bleached Bromated Enriched Malted High Gluten Flour
High protein flour milled from select blends of hard spring wheat.We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you!
- Hipped Enclosure Pizza Oven Hipped Enclosure Definition A hipped enclosure is a form of outdoor oven enclosure that features a basic walled structure, a hipped roof, and a chimney centered over the oven dome. Read More
- Holding Flame Pizza Oven Holding Flame Definition The holding flame of a pizza oven is an approximately 8″ flame, it holds the current temperature of the oven steady. It is used when the oven is empty. Read More
- Hole Structure Hole Structure Definition In pizza slang, a hole structure is the pattern of the network of gluten shown as pockets of air that compose the area under the crust. It is also known as the crumb. Check our gluten article for more information. Read More
- Hood Hood Definition A hood is also called a ventilator. This is a metal box mounted above the oven into which the oven can vent its exhaust, and this exhaust passes through filters before moving onto the duct. Read More
- Hot Press Hot Pizza Press Definition A hot press or hot pizza press is a pizza press that can either have a hot top surface or a bottom hot surface used to shape the dough. Read More
- Hydration Hydration Definition Hydration is a term that refers to the capacity of flour to absorb water. Hydration is usually shown as a baker's percent, or ratio, that is equal to the water's weight divided by the flour's weight. Check our pizza dough hydration article for more information. Read More
- Hydroscopic Hydroscopic Definition Hydroscopic is sometimes spelled "hygroscopic." It's a formula that measures the capacity of a substance to absorb moisture from its surroundings. Read More
Check Our Recommended Products
“Why is Pizza Called Pie? Here’s Everything You Need to Know
Are you wondering why is pizza called pie? This controversy is one of the most pressing issues among food lovers. …
Why is Pizza Called Pizza? Find all the Knead to Know Facts!
Why is pizza called pizza? Are you wondering why is pizza called pizza? We all know what pizza is. Right? …
The Complete List of Words to Describe Pizza that Will Make You a Food Critic
Words to Describe Pizza Are you in search of words to describe pizza? Creating a pizza description seems like a …
7 Steps on How to Describe Pizza that Will Make Your Readers Drool
Are you looking for guidance on how to describe pizza? We’ve got you covered! Restaurants, pizza blog writers, and friends …
Pizza Lingo: A Sizzling Tour Through 900+ Pizza Words
Have you ever been intrigued by the array of jargon used in the world of pizza? From ‘Neapolitan’ and ‘pan-style’ …
Not a PRO? Not a Problem!
Take a pizza class to bring your pizza skills to the next level,
so you can be a PRO!
How to Proof Pizza Dough: Step-by-Step Instructions for a Light, Airy Pizza Crust
It’s no secret that the true magic of an incredible homemade pizza lies not only in its toppings but also …
Homemade Pizza Sauce: Crafting the Perfect Blend
You know that dreamy moment when you take a bite of pizza and the world just stops? When all the …
San Marzano Tomatoes: The Red Gold of Naples, Now on Your Homemade Pizza
Welcome, dear tomato aficionados and pizza lovers alike, to the world of the illustrious San Marzano tomato. Ah, the San …
Check Out Our Pizza T-Shirts
Pizza T-Shirt – Pizzaiolo Red Underline$29.95
Pizza T-Shirt – I Love Pizza$29.95
Pizza T-Shirt – Pizzaiola$29.95
Check Out Our Preferred Vendors
Subscribe to our Recipe of the Week newsletter and receive our partners’ latest recipes, tips, and discount offers.
Keep in Touch!