Glossary of Pizza Terms and Definitions
“Pizza” is a word that any language can understand.
Welcome to the most comprehensive pizza glossary and terms definitions on the internet. We carefully added what we think are all words related to pizza and pizza ovens.
You will find the pizza term definitions, related pizza terms, and related pizza articles to that term.
For a comprehensive list of pizza words, check our article on 900+ Pizza Words.
We have from the most serious pizza terms to pizza slang.
Discover the Word of the Day!
Crumb Definition Crumb is the structure of the inside of a baked pizza crust or…
Are We Missing Any Pizza Terms?
You can suggest a term if you think we are missing any pizza words that can be useful for our readers.
Glossary of Pizza Terms and Definitions
Whether you’re a pizza aficionado or just a casual fan, this guide will introduce you to the delicious world of pizza.
From traditional toppings to modern twists, this glossary covers the essential vocabulary you need to know to fully appreciate the art of pizza-making. So take a slice of this knowledge pie and expand your pizza horizons!
This pizza glossary will define common pizza terms and ingredients and some interesting pizza slang.
So let’s dive in and explore the savory world of pizza together!
- Elasticity Dough Elasticity Definition Dough elasticity is the ability of a dough to return to its original shape after stretching. You mostly see this in doughs made with high-protein, high-gluten flours which tend to exhibit this tendency because of their higher gluten content and their more(...) Read More
- Emergency Dough Emergency Dough Definition The emergency dough is designed to be made if you should lose your regular dough. This pizza dough is made as a derivation of your regular pizza dough formula, but the dough temperature is increased to 90-95 F, and you add double the yeast you typically use. Read More
- Emulsifiers Emulsifiers Definition The emulsifier's purpose in pizza dough is to strengthen the dough or soften the crumb. Common emulsifiers include Lecithin and sodium stearoyl lactylate (SSL). Lecithin and SSL can lubricate gluten and slow its growth, leading to longer mixing times than the(...) Read More
- Enzymes Enzymes Definition Enzymes are biological catalysts that accelerate chemical reactions, such as increasing sugar extraction from starch. Read More
- Expansion Expansion Definition Expansion is the normal process occurring in the ceramic oven floor and dome of the oven; it expands and contracts as the oven heats and cools. Read More
- Extensibility Dough Extensibility Definition Extensibility is the ability of a dough to be shaped and stretched without breaking or springing back to its original shape. Doughs made with low-protein low-gluten flours, high hydration levels, and long fermentation times will be more extensible than(...) Read More
Check Our Recommended Products
“Why is Pizza Called Pie? Here’s Everything You Need to Know
Are you wondering why is pizza called pie? This controversy is one of the most pressing issues among food lovers. …
Why is Pizza Called Pizza? Find all the Knead to Know Facts!
Why is pizza called pizza? Are you wondering why is pizza called pizza? We all know what pizza is. Right? …
The Complete List of Words to Describe Pizza that Will Make You a Food Critic
Words to Describe Pizza Are you in search of words to describe pizza? Creating a pizza description seems like a …
7 Steps on How to Describe Pizza that Will Make Your Readers Drool
Are you looking for guidance on how to describe pizza? We’ve got you covered! Restaurants, pizza blog writers, and friends …
Pizza Lingo: A Sizzling Tour Through 900+ Pizza Words
Have you ever been intrigued by the array of jargon used in the world of pizza? From ‘Neapolitan’ and ‘pan-style’ …
Not a PRO? Not a Problem!
Take a pizza class to bring your pizza skills to the next level,
so you can be a PRO!
How to Proof Pizza Dough: Step-by-Step Instructions for a Light, Airy Pizza Crust
It’s no secret that the true magic of an incredible homemade pizza lies not only in its toppings but also …
Homemade Pizza Sauce: Crafting the Perfect Blend
You know that dreamy moment when you take a bite of pizza and the world just stops? When all the …
San Marzano Tomatoes: The Red Gold of Naples, Now on Your Homemade Pizza
Welcome, dear tomato aficionados and pizza lovers alike, to the world of the illustrious San Marzano tomato. Ah, the San …
Check Out Our Pizza T-Shirts
Pizza T-Shirt – Pizzaiolo Red Underline$29.95
Pizza T-Shirt – I Love Pizza$29.95
Pizza T-Shirt – Pizzaiola$29.95
Check Out Our Preferred Vendors
Subscribe to our Recipe of the Week newsletter and receive our partners’ latest recipes, tips, and discount offers.
Keep in Touch!